1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do steinboks have tails

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by RB, Sep 22, 2006.

1. RB

RB New Member

because my sweet little steinbok that I spent two days trying to shoot even though they were everywhere before I decided to shoot one..don't. Is this the result of poor skinning or are they born this way. Just got in a red stag also that was apparently born with no nose or lower lip. $%$# #$%$#@.

2. Wabbitt

Wabbitt Guest

(\__/) <---------evil guest wabbitt
    (='.'=)
    (")_(").....
    The tail is short and thin, but according to Kingdon (1997) it is not readily visible.
    http://www.ultimateungulate.com/Images/Raphicerus_campestris/R_campestris3.html

Description: The coat Is a uniform reddish color, sometimes turning grayish with a light silvery sheen. The delicate appearance of this slightly built antelope is accentuated by its long legs and thin neck. The ears are long and broad, and the tail is only a short stump. The horns, present only in the male, curve slightly forward and average 6 inches long. Length of head and body is about three feet, two feet high at the shoulder, and it weighs about 35 pounds, the male sometimes lighter than the female.
    http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/403.htm

Body length:
    70-95 cm (2.3-3.2 ft.)
    Shoulder height:
    45-60 cm (1.5-2 ft.)
    Weight:
    7-16 kg (15-36 lbs)
    Tail length:
    4-6 cm (1.6-2.4 in.) <----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Dean

Dean New Member

RB. They do have very short tails, you have to look close to find it. I couldn't tell how short on my steinbok because the one I shot a couple years ago with a 300wsm went through the body from the front and made the whole rearend concave.

4. Sorry to hear about your trouble with your steinbok and your red stag RB. A tail less steinbok is still better then a three legged one which I received back from Africa. How do you hide that one? ;D

5. Dean

Dean New Member

Evelyn, I have a 3 legged dik- dik to do . It will end up as a shoulder mount because it's the entire front leg that's missing. I wish it was a rear leg then I can do a half mount for the customer.

6. A three legged dik dik? And I thought I was the only one lucky enough to loose a leg. LOL. We didn't find out about the steenbok missing a leg until it came back from the tannery. I told the customer about it and the outfitter in Africa admitted that it was shipped out damaged, and they are working on getting him a replacement hide. I also got the money for the tanning reeimbursed from my tannery for not making me aware of this problem prior to tanning. So hopefully this will all work out. If it does, I may have a steenbok tail left over for RB. ;D

7. RB

RB New Member

Thanks for offering the tail superpig. I may just mount him backed against post. I can mount this red stag with his snout in a bucket. No one will ever know the difference. I hate guides and skinners. They are all evil.

8. Ha ha RB don't be too hard on the skinners and guides. There are a few who are actually pretty good. but you are right, a lot of them either do not know or don't care on how they skin the animal out. They want it done quick and the rest don't matter. :-\ Good idea you had there with the red stag. I hope your customer agrees with the bucket thing. Maybe you can rebuild the nose and lower lip with apoxie after mounting and use some left over brisket area hide to blend in the missing skin. Just a suggestion. You never know unless you try it. :)

9. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I once had the eye lashes cut off a black wolf I was fortunate to take in B.C. I was caping the animal out and the guide insisted on doing it himself later. I don't remember why I agreed to it, but long story short, there was the skull on the ground with eye lashes still attached. That wasn't what I recall a happy moment.

10. I have a pink and brown zebra rug from Zimbabwe...very rare sub-species! LOL