1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition techniques??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by brigham boy, Mar 30, 2010.

1. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    hello i have been doing taxidermy for a couple years now and i am interested in competing. i am looking to enter a mule deer as my first piece. i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for good materials videos books ect. that help a new competer like me learn competition techniques.. also a breakdown of scoring and what there looking for in a mount.. i really have a strong desire to compete but i feel a bit overwelmed at were to get started....thanks much for any help....

2. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    I would say put together your best head you can. Take it to the comp, you will learn everything you need to while your there. Talk to as many people as you can and go to the seminars. Good luck and you will love it.

3. brigham boy

utah
    thanks i cant wait.. :)

4. Yep Do the best you know how.Don't worry about your score.
    Last weekend was my first competition. CAT show.I did a game head (Black tail)Did OK i'm happy with the result.I ve done about 10-15 game heads total but i learn from every misstakes i made each mount and improved each time the last one was one enter the competition end up got 91 in open class.I can say IT was the best i know how.Right now after the show i thing i can do better than that one.
    One advice from me as a beginner Do the best mount you can .And give it 110 percent into it.

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Grooming,cleanliness,paint blending,correct use of artificial parts,shrinkage,drumming,anatomy,hair patterns,overspray.....this short list should be a good start on what they are looking for!! Beware....some judges take the elitist attitude of "I know more than you, and I'm gonna hurt you for it"!! I've noticed it's usually the judges that haven't made it to the top themselves. I'd rather be judged by a person that's placed at or near the top at the World Championships than a resentful wannabe!! Fred Vanderburg,Bill Yox,Tommy Hall,Keith Bowman, all give critiques based on fact and from a human perspective. None of these guys seem to have a GOD complex. They are really there to help....not bash.

6. brigham boy

utah
    thanks for all the replies