I recently got through mounting my first deer. I tanned the hide using Rittles EZ-100 and the hide turned out well. I do not have a fleshing machine to thin the hide and only used scissors around the facial areas. I did butcher the left ear somewhat while removing the ear cartlige. Removing the cartlige proved more difficult than expected. I used epply earliners and a buckeye mannikin for the hide. Problems I encountered from the begining was with the ears and liners. I quickly realized that I did not measure correct for the liners thuse causing the ears to drum somewhat. The butts of the liners seemed to be bigger than needed . I also seemed to have a problem getting the ears to line up right with the mannikin because with butts on the liners seemed to want to sit back further than I needed. After the mount had dried I noticed that the stiching around the Y incision was separating a little and also that the hide around the back of the antler burrs was pulling away. I since have used brown colored apoxie scult to fill in the gap around the antler burr to mask the gap. Lessons that I have learned for my next mount. 1. Try the bondo method so I dont butcher the ears. 2. Make my own earbutts out of clay to ensure proper size and fit. 3. Do a better job on lip tucking. 4. I will do a better job on stitching and use extra hide past around the stitching. 5. I will place a roll of apoxie sculpt at the base of the antler burrs to lock the hide in after sewing. Please look at the pics and let me know what else can be done. Thanks to all on this site you are a great help.