1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lighter, powerful cordless drill ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Mar 30, 2010.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have "tennis elbow" in my left arm, and my current cordless drills...both 24V BlackMax drills, are way heavy when I'm using them. Their total weight with the battery is 5 lbs, 12 ozs. Someone had a Milwaukee 18V recently in a seminar that looked light. I'm not looking for "cheap" cordless drills, just lighter and powerful drills.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in identifying what I am looking for.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Joey, Sears has a "modular tool system" now that has a saw and a drill that share a common battery. It's called the NEXTEC system and they are light, easy to handle 12 volt rechargeable tools that seem exceptionally easy on your hands but strong enough to do the job. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911812000P?keyword=battery+powered+drill

I already have a 9.3 volt DeWalt from Lowes that I like a lot, but the NEXTEC is likely to replace it very soon.

3. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Miwaukee 18 volt lithium batteries I have 2 of them aprox 2 years old I have to buy new batteries as the old ones are on their last leg. Great drills otherwise they have been nocked over and on the floor many times never had a problem. New batteries are aprox 70 apiece. New drill with 2 batteries is in 200 range

4. justin33

justin33 New Member

I could not live without my bosch 10.2 litheon driver. I still use the bigger millwakee for drilling holes, but every screw, in or out, I use my little bosch. Fits anywhere, even my pocket while on a ladder. Tested it while building my shop, and put 240 3"screws into treated 6x6 on one scharge. comes with two lithion batteries, and a 30 min. charger. Has paid for itself 100 times.

5. RIDGID 12V is AWESOME!!!!!! I love my drill probably too much! The one I have has a lifetime warranty INCLUDING BATTERIES. It came with a charger and two batteries, I've used it a lot and the batteries haven't fizzled out on me yet. It has a light on it too which I also love. ;D

6. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

My 12v makita weighs 3 lbs 6 oz. with the battery.

7. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

x2 on the RIDGID....Although i dont love my drill to much, After 4 years, i may have to buy new batteries...

8. bw

bw New Member

Call your dealer Milwaukee has a warranty on their batteries. I don't know, but it may apply to yours.

9. bw

bw New Member

Milwaukee also offers smaller batteries that are half the size, half the charge time, half the run time.

My best friend runs a tool store. Milwaukee has had some programs lately that offer some outstanding trade-in options. Last one he told me about offered $100 trade-in for any "professional grade" drill toward the purchase of a new Milwuakee. The first time they ran it, the drill didn't even have to function. I think they got smart and changed that the second time.

I don't think chain stores have this available, so you would need to call an actual dealer.

I have gotten hooked on this little impact driver they offer. It came in the kit I bought last year. It makes driving screws a pleasure. It takes most of the effort out of driving tight screws. Its very compact and if you used the half sized batteries, it would be light as a feather

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Thanks everyone...I must have a much lighter cordless drill..I'll look at all that everyone has listed.

11. nate

nate Active Member

Joey, make sure you check out the makita 18v lithium. Thats got the most power and wieghs less than a 12v. drill.

12. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

X2

Also check out Panasonic drills a little pricey but very good drills.

13. Riverland

Riverland New Member

: Lighter, powerful cordless drill ?

Thanks on th millwaukee info I bought both sets on the same day at a millwaukee dealer