1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oogii's Wolf

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Wayne R, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I'm trying to post a larger photo for Oogii so that he may get a critique on his first wolf.

[​IMG]

2. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

Well the first thing that jumps out is the ears and feet. You need to work off your reference photo's.

3. cwt

cwt Active Member

And the sew line on the back leg.

4. what happened to the sewing...

5. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Thats sure a coyote colored wolf.

6. Wayne R

It does have a coyote look about it, but Oogii is from Mongolia and not being familiar with their wolves, I don't know if that is common or not. I do know they still on occasion hunt them with eagles, so maybe they are a little smaller in size also. I mention to him that I though it could have used more back brushing as it dried, that the ears may not have been turned to the edge, and look like they need to go into the head more. It also seemed like the eyes may be pulled back some and front paws are too flat, and the transition from the leg to the paw needs some work. Besides not being familiar with wolves from Mongolia, I have no clue what he used for a form if any, since he is from Mongolia. So I think with limited resources and being his first wolf he did a remarkable job.

7. Diamondhitch

Pretty cool. I dont realy know anything about asian wolves except that they are supposed to be much more agressive than ours.

8. Hello Wayne,
    Thank you a lot for your help and to all others.
    As I am from Mongolia where is limited resources for taxidermy I am trying to do all by myself. Like a form, here we do bot have polyurethane in Mongolia so I use Styrofoam and it comes very hard to carve on it. For teeth and tongues I use fast-drying sealing for car industry and eyes are self doing.
    As to wolves in Mongolia I can say that they are not small in size and there are two differences in color, forest wolves more dark and bigger in size and steppe wolves color is like I did.

9. Wayne R

Oogii, I had a feeling it would be hard to come across some forms for a wolf out your way. I think you carved a pretty good body out of styrofoam. You might want to do a search on the interenet for wolf pictures, to help you fine tune the next one you put together. The more photos you can find that deal with specific body parts, the better. If you get one in to skin, study it, and take photos of anything you can think of to use as a reference. It's not as good as a live wolf, but it will give you some direction to go in, like the shape of a paw, or the position of the ears, and so on. You can even get some ideas by studying a large dog. Have fun and good luck on the next one.

10. Diamondhitch

Heres a few reference pics I googled. The one thing that stood out to me is that on many of them the stop is not as pronounced as on our wolves and the eyes are certainly shaped differently.

Attached Files:

11. Diamondhitch

more

Attached Files:

12. Wayne R

Derek, those photos are great.

13. Diamondhitch

Thanks Wayne. theres not alot out there but there are definitely some good ones.