1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey of the Month "April"

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brettdef, Apr 1, 2010.

1. brettdef

brettdef New Member

Thanks to all that posted last month. There was some very nice birds. I am sure that everyone is ready for turkey season and some of you have probably already taken in birds or have been hunting. We have started getting busy and the weather has finally gotten better and the birds around my area are in full swing. I hope you all have a good season be safe and good luck. Now lets see some more turkeys.

When mounting a bird for competition set your feet up on your base using good reference pictures of a live turkey. Then inject them and let dry. This will let you paint your feet before mounting the bird and you will end up with a better paint job. I let mine dry and remove them from the base so I can hold them in my hand and do my finish work before I ever attach them to the manikin.

Thank you to all that post and have a safe hunting season

Brett D

Attached Files:

2. Brando24

Brando24 New Member

that's a great tip, i did that a while back on a few geese, and worked out great. plus you don't get paint on the feather.

3. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i do the same thing but i do attach them to the manikin. I also sculpt the leg muscles at this time. when remove from the base to paint as above.
  4. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

This is actually from last month! My bird from the NWTF. Should be posting more this month. Will also be accepting wholesale turkeys. PM me if interested!
  5. BeachBuck

BeachBuck New Member

Nice bird Ron.
  6. Here's one I took to the Michigan Show. Nice head Brett. Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Good birds so far. Nothing here from me. Hopefully next couple months I can post a bird or two.
  8. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

jim, did you have that on a different base at the show.
  9. ed150

ed150 deer city time

mine for the month,wounderfull work hear guys,time to hunt some birds

Attached Files:

10. trophy mount TN

trophy mount TN Trophy Mount Taxidermy

this is the bird i just mounted for our state show coming up in june. im gonna try to get a strutter done also, as soon as i can get a body from brett :)[​IMG]

HIGH HOPES Member

Ron you do a nice bird!

HIGH HOPES Member

trophy mount that is a nice pose something different,awsome!!
  13. Nope, just took off the mushrooms.
  14. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

You too. Hard to wait. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas day.
  15. trophy mount TN

thanks thunder chicken! yeah it started out to be a half strut alert, but i wasnt liking it so i had to change something. funny how things work out isnt it : )
  16. trophy mount TN

here is a strutter i took to the nwtf it also took a 2nd in professional div.

Attached Files:

17. lonewolf1330

lonewolf1330 Member

nice mount ;D
  18. trophy mount TN

PRECIATE IT! you know how people always say" camera dosnt do it any justice". i totally disagree, i wish it looked as good in person as it does in that pic. :)
  19. jt

jt Member

I wanted to make this turkey look like it had just been missed by an arrow and was startled by the noise.

20. Glass eye

Glass eye New Member

I love that mount !