1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First and Last Pet Project

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by AndyO, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Had a guy approach me about mounting his pet pitbull ("Lock Jaw"). At the time my workload was running thin so I accepted the project, more or less, as a learning opportunity. I've mounted many lifesize animals so how hard could a pet be? Well, to my suprise this dog was the EASIEST mount I've ever done.

Took a total of around 14 working hours and was paid $2200. I self tanned (Lutan F) and made manikin. The skin was VERY fatty, but shaved nicely. Surprisingly, the skin was very tough and had very few holes to sew.

[​IMG]

I molded the head using bondo and cast with rigid foam. Cleaned up the cast a little and clayed before mounting. The body was made with blue foam and sealed with plaster. Legs were reinforced with rod and body has an 2 x 4 running the length.

[​IMG]

Changed pose to have leg underneath body and rotated to balance pose.

[​IMG]

And here is the finished piece. I made a cheap base with woodburned name plate because I felt guilty how easy everything went together. The dog was initially supposed to lay on the blue blanket the guy provided.

[​IMG]

Now you may ask why this is my first and last pet project if it went together so easy? Well, the whole thing was creepy to me. From skinning to seeing the finished mount laying in the base. I had to keep it covered so my daughter wouldn't see it. There is a demand for pet taxidermy so if you aren't easily creeped out then I say go for it!!

2. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

I never was botherd by the actual act of pet taxidermy. Heck the money was good! but for some reason the smell botherd me. I have messed with dead stuff all my life, and have dealt with some nasty stuff. Heck, I could eat a hamburger and work on it at the same time. But to me, cats and dogs smell strongly like what they eat. And that for some reason bothers me. And I catch myself washing my hand's more often after handling them. Stranger than fiction to me.

3. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Good job man

Just keep em dooing not that bad exept for the stinking fat ;D, tumors ;D, smell ;D, urine ;D/and sone other small things than eh

Snow the Hare

4. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Did a coon hound for a guy a bear killed 10 years ago creeped me out I knew the dog, never again

5. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

What did the customer say about it?

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

andy, looks great man.

7. He said he's going to be buried with it when he dies. And he was dead serious (no pun intended).

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Nice job Andy, but I am with you. I just can't bring myself to do them yet. I turn away so many every year, maybe someday.

9. Awesome job man I just cant see myself working on a dog

10. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

gOOD jOB

[​IMG]

11. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Looks great. I know how you feel. I did a Chijuaja (spelling is wrong I know), and I was gagging the whole time I skinned it. I used double gloves and everything. Hated every minute of it. That thing was so greasy it was like skinning a sack of vegetable oil.....it actually dripped out of it. I will probably do more, but I will make a LOT of money to do it.

12. Wow, that looks amazing!

13. i just set a price starting at $2000.. havn't had a taker yet.. but will gladly do it if they wanan pay ( sleeping only)

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Great job Andy!! I've got a Pomeranian in the tan now, will post pics in a few weeks.

15. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    lockJaw looks great! But I'm with you on doing someones pet- NO WAY! The biggest reason is there are to many heart strings attached and opens the door to a lawsuit. I've seen a few cases on court tv shows where the animals look great and the taxidermist getting sued because they did everything but make the dog bark and roll over. Every case the taxidermist won but not worth the headache.

16. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

good job!