1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trout, Rainbow (Golden)..color variant....(Oncorhynchus mykiss)

Discussion in 'Fish Reference Photos' started by GBRUCH, Sep 22, 2006.

1. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pooh_28

pooh_28 New Member

Re: Rainbow Trout (Golden Hybrid) (Palomino)

Excellant photos. Do you have a picture of the whole body?

3. Re: Rainbow Trout (Golden Hybrid) (Palomino)

More Yellowish, or Gold in that Eye ?
    Buck....

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Why am I able to look at some pictures but others, like all of these, don't show up?

5. Re: Rainbow Trout (Golden Hybrid) (Palomino)

This is a reference from the Pennsylvania fish people of palomino trout:

Golden Rainbow Trout Oncorhynchus mykiss
    Species overview: The golden rainbow trout is a gold-orange rainbow trout raised under artificial fish culture conditions and stocked as a novelty for angling sport. The golden rainbow was developed from one fish, a single female trout with a genetic mutation that gave her a mixed golden and normal rainbow trout coloration. She was found in the West Virginia hatchery system in 1954. Through selective breeding with regularly marked rainbow trout, an all-gold, golden rainbow trout was developed. In 1963, this fish strain was popularized as the “West Virginia Centennial Golden Trout.” Pennsylvania and other states hybridized the pure strain of West Virginia golden trout with normal rainbows and produced palomino trout, which were true genetic palominos. Palomino trout were first stocked in Pennsylvania in 1967. Since then, the genetic strain in Pennsylvania has weakened, but in recent years the hybrid was selectively bred back closer to the stronger, better-colored golden rainbow trout. Although palominos were stocked as both average-sized and large trout, today’s golden rainbow is raised only to trophy size for anglers and stocked throughout the state.

So in the scientific world the palomino or golden rainbow trout is simple a color variation of a hatchery strain of rainbow trout....one which was selected for hatchery production to produce a "novel" trout.

6. spearfisherman08

spearfisherman08 New Member

those are nice photos and all but have you ever stalked a 32 in palimino for 2 days and cornered it in some shallow water and cought it with a spear?

7. Re: Rainbow Trout (Golden Hybrid) (Palomino)

Yeah

8. Re: Rainbow Trout (Golden Hybrid) (Palomino)

That would result in Hefty fines where I live!

9. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY

For what it is worth, I thought I'd add my pics to Gary's. You can never have enough reference!!
    Regards ,
    Jonathan

10. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY

three more

11. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY

three more

12. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY

and lastly. Hope they help someone!!

13. disabled

disabled Active Member

Trout, Rainbow (Golden).....oncorhynchus mykiss

Here are some Golden trout photos john

Attached Files:

14. Re: Golden Trout photos

nice.. ty..

15. irishme

irishme New Member

Re: Golden Trout photos

PALIMINO RIGHT?
    SAME SAME AS GOLDEN I GUESS

16. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY

Actually no, the pic is of a golden rainbow ( sometimes known as a palimino) A golden trout is a western trout an is more olive/green and is an altogather different fish.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Though it's a farm raised, hybridized rainbow, the more correct name IS the palomino trout. Though not visible on this one, it's not unusual for them to have anomalies on their dorsal and adipose fins as well as stunted pectorals. I've caught them that were totally blind with eyes grown over or cataracted. The true golden trout is one of the most gorgeous species out there. and is only found in the high altitude waters of the far Northwest. Though some 10+ pounders have been caught, a one pound fish is a huge trophy to most anglers.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

jemmick, I stand corrected. I see that colloquialisms and time have passed me by a bit. I guess the Pennsylvania Game folks have changed the playing field. This is what I found after I posted:

The orangish trout stocked by the Commission are accurately called "golden rainbow trout."
    The golden rainbow trout originated from a single rainbow trout that was spawned in the fall of 1954 in West Virginia. This trout's body color was a chimera of golden and normally pigmented tissue. When this fish was crossed with a normally pigmented rainbow trout, the offspring (what we have come to refer to as palomino rainbow trout) were lighter in color.

Golden rainbow trout and palomino rainbow trout are not sterile hybrids, they are simply color variations of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and should not be confused with the golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita) native to a few drainages in California. It took selective breeding for several generations to result in the development of true breeding golden rainbow trout. Typically, these fish are more of a brilliant golden color than the palomino rainbow trout, which has a color phase intermediate between the golden and normally pigmented rainbow trout.

In Pennsylvania, the rise of the palomino rainbow trout stemmed from obtaining fertilized golden rainbow trout eggs from West Virginia. Subsequently, when these golden rainbow trout reached maturity, they were crossed with normally pigmented rainbow trout and the offspring resulted in the development of the palomino rainbow trout. The initial stockings of palomino rainbow trout in Pennsylvania waters occurred during the 1967 season. At present, however, due to their more brilliant coloration, we use golden rainbow trout exclusively for production purposes rather than the lighter palomino rainbow trout.

19. irishme

irishme New Member

;) Thanks Jimmick and George