1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner needs critique

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by BPaterson, Apr 6, 2010.

1. BPaterson

BPaterson New Member

Hey everyone, I just started doing this. I have only worked on repros and have a few under my belt. I will spare you from looking at my first two disasters. Just wondering what I need to work on. I can think of several things but wanted to hear what others had to say. I have no experience and this is just a hobby I picked up. Don't take it easy on me, my heart won't be broken if you tell me the truth.

This LMB is a repro I got for cheap, it was really lacking in scale detail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next is a repro 44" yellowfin tuna I caught last fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this last one is a small dorado that I actually molded and cated myself. 28"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were all done with a VL. I'm feeling like I can't really get the detail I want with this airbrush, but I really don't know what I am doing anyway.

2. Anatomicaly ,the biggest thing that jumps out at me is your eye sets. Building the sclera/ eye capsul, so that the eye does'nt sit so flat against the fish will make a huge difference in the apearence of your fish( all three). On your dorado,there is a slight bow in the belly of the fish between the pelvic and ventral fins(I'm being picky here).I don't like to pick on paint jobs because of the variables , light,glare, camera angle, etc. With repo's , you are pretty much stuck w/ what they are , the soft dorsal and ventral fins on that repro bass are flaired to much .If you cast your own , you can control that.I'm not a real fan of the" walking pelvic" fins(perectly acceptable), but that is just me.

3. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

I have never seen a bass do that with it's mouth, when I see a jaw set like that, it doesn't matter what the rest of the fish looks like, it makes the mount look like (*)(&)&)&)^%%.

4. Thats quite an undertaking!!!. I am by far not the expert in this field but one of the things that jumps out at me is the spotting on the Dorado and the mouth detail. The spots need to be faded (softened) at the edges. The comment on the eye sets were right on in my opinion. You have taken on quite the projects, good luck and keep at it.

5. BPaterson

BPaterson New Member

Thanks guys. I have another bass that I am ready to paint and I think I have the eyes set more accurately with this one. I am still building up my reference and will be paying more attention to those details in the future.

Mountain Ed, what do you mean by the "walking pelvic" fins. Is that refering to the vertical position they are in?

6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

If you closely study much of your reference, MOST of the time, the pelvics will allign along the body. I will try and find a pic small enough to demonstrate. The "inside" edge of them will almost always be right along the body.

That fin sits in a SOCKET. it can ROTATE down, not PULL down. but someone probably could find an example of them doing exactly that to prove me wrong. But that is what he is talking about.

look at live fish. they are always along the body. most of your fins are .

STUDY STUDY STUDY. you will get better each time.. i promise!!!

7. BPaterson

BPaterson New Member

Thanks Jimmy I will make a note of that. I looked at some photos and see what you are talking about.