1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cutthroat trout Paint schedule

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brent W, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Brent W

Brent W New Member

Most of the paint schedules I see use a light or medium bass green for the back and upper fins. The cutthroat trout I see around here are more of a golden body to a slightly brownish back. I recently posted a fish I did (My first trout) I am not thrilled with the way it looks compared to the original fish. Where can I find a paint schedule for the more golden lighter backed fish. There is a cuthroat in this weeks fish that is very similar to what I am hoping for. I dont have enough experience yet to really just wing it as far as painting

2. Is there anyway you can post pics of the one your trying to reproduce?

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That is why schedules don't (always) work. Use your ref. pic, and copy it.

4. Brent W

Brent W New Member

Cole,
    Iknow fish schedules dont always work, part of my problem is I have tried mixing blending colors I thought would work and havent been pleased. I was hoping maybe some ideas . I use gold toners and yellow ochre to get the colden tones but the back color is not really green and not really brown tried green with a mist of browns followed by gold toner. will try to post pic of fish before it was skinned

5. Brent W

Brent W New Member

Similar to the color of this trout in a previous post
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,2098.0.html

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I see some greens, sahara tan, yellows, browns. Layer the colors to create some depth.

7. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

is this the color your talking about? I know this fish is dead and was froze so the colors arent as good but I would say when it was alive it was a golden color, not green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Brent W

Brent W New Member

Thanks for the color suggestions. I guess I just dont have enough experience to eyeball the colors. But yes browns and gold with possibly some greens. I am still at that stage where it is easy for me to get heavy handed with the paint but I am learning. The fish was very gold or tan as the one in the link. But I will give it another shot Thanks again for the comments. There is so much to learn. Not rocket science maybe but still there is a never ending supply of information here. Thanks to all of you that patiently answer the same newby questions over and over.

9. maybe get the fish painting encylopedia by breakthrough might find a schedule or colors in there