1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buffalo skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skullboy21, Apr 6, 2010.

1. skullboy21

skullboy21 New Member

I just recently recieved three buffalo skulls and i was wondering if i had to do anything special to the horns or can i just put it in there like i would with a deer.

2. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

You need to sweat the horns off especially if your using bugs they will eat the horns. Check the tutorial section there are a couple in there for horn removal.

Horns are hair, Antlers are bone.

Jeff

3. Racked-Out

Racked-Out Rack-em out

Buffalo skulls are super sweet. Do you know how much they go for on the market??? check out this picture. I have sold brackets for them but they were all personal use. I think they look good in a home especially with a bracket behind them. http://www.racked-out.com

Attached Files:

4. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Racked-out,

Man, all of the threads I have read, you are trying to sell/market your product. No helpful info given that I have read. ???

5. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    buff euros are a lot of work..getting the caps off is a chore i get some water boiling not simmering but boiling and boil for 10 min at a time and take a screw driver and work it into the base and bang it off with a sledge hammer..oh also i drill a hole in the back of horns for realingment and it also lets water get6 inside the core to loosen them up....works for me

6. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    also alot of twisting action

7. Double black garbage bag and put in sun light. Couple weeks to a month and they should pop right off. Oh and the smell is great lol. Jess sifford

8. ivywolf

ivywolf New Member

Now that's a funny response, lol. :) In all seriousness...In all my time spent on this forum, I have seen this method mentioned many times. I have not tried it, but some people swear by it. This is what I will try when I have a skull that requires it.

9. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

only had one take more than 48 hours with double bagging.......

10. fogbound

fogbound Member

Our experience has also been in 48-72 hour time frame, in black trash bags in front of heat source. Use a rubber mallet to loosen along the way...

11. I had no heat source on mine so that's why it took so long. It was just out in the wood shed. It works great though. Jess sifford