1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A different question regarding antler mounts & real hair?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by buckhntr, Apr 6, 2010.

1. buckhntr

buckhntr New Member

I have searched the archives regarding antler mounts and real hair, but I have a different question. I don't have the original scalp area of the deer. I have tanned pieces of backhides with the hair on. Can these be used as the cover for antler mounts or will the hair/pattern look funny once I trim it to accomodate for the burrs? I wonder because the natural hair pattern around the burrs form perfectly around the burrs, and a piece of cutoff won't have the natural pattern, so I don't know if it will look ok. Thanks

2. buckhntr

buckhntr New Member

Any ideas?

3. You could do it but it sure wouldn't look the same as the real deal. The forehead is usually a different color with hair patterns that you won't get with the back hide. Why not just use buckskin?

4. Bear Claw

Bear Claw New Member

x2

5. dermy

dermy Psalm 23

A real bugger to get the hair to lay down right, try to get a junk cape and stieal that piece from it.

6. [​IMG]
    Use you some strong hair gel or ivory soap to hold the out of place hairs down until they take that shape............Nothin is Impossiple ... be a problem solver