1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ear butt picture, UPDATED with mounted pics.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by deerhunt1985, Apr 7, 2010.

1. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

Re: ear butt picture, direction needed

Man you guys are great! i REALLY appreciate it, i am trying MY best to learn this the right way and not just screw on a generic ear butt,

Also, this is my comp piece and yep, its going in the pro division as well, wont ever catch me in amatuer. so this is really REALLY helping me, i just got in from knoxville and im fixing to work on it some now.

any reference of the back of the head?

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Here is some reading for you. http://www.whitetailsystems.com/HiltonEppleysCritique.html

3. darton

darton Member

Marking !

4. Re: ear butt picture, direction needed

I have some real muscle reference of the back of the head that I will post in the next couple of days. I wouldn't mess with the overlay too much, because you will still have to transfer them to the form through sculpting whether you are looking at an overlay, a reference photo, or cast. Learn the origins and insertions of the muscles and what they do, once you understand them, you will sculpt them better and can produce many variations of poses. It just takes alot of practice.

5. deerhunt1985

knocked some of the larger amount off tonight, will get back at it tomarrow, im learning though

[​IMG]

6. paul e

paul e New Member

thanks for the link Cole
    i gotta get one of those cast

7. Re: ear butt picture, direction needed

Excellent reference Vince and Cole. I don't think you could spell out ears back anatomy better than you have. Nice work deerhunt1985, Steve

8. deerhunt1985

am i getting in the ballpark now??

YES THANKS!! mr. vince and cole ya'll time is appreciated

9. deerhunt1985

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. deerhunt1985

[​IMG]

11. I really like it deerhunt. I'm glad this thread took off like this, you got some great advice. It's a solid mount, however I think some grooming of your hair patterns are needed through out the facial area. Also, It's probably the lighting or the way it's groomed but something seems off on the lower earbutt, almost looks overdone. This is a long haired deer so it really sticks out to me. I love the pose and base, great job! ;)

12. I like the pose and the driftwood looks nice also, nice job. These are some things that may be helpful for this one and your next.
    X2 on what Jared said. You need to get some good reference of hair patterns and begin to groom before it dries...judges will be looking for these patterns. Also the symmetry is off between the ears (shape is different from one side compared to the other). Inferior adductor of the auricle seems too full like Jared said. Also check out back corner of eye it is pulled too far back and is not symmetrical from side to side. The white on the back corners are not usually showing unless you have rotated the eyes somewhat forward.

[​IMG]

I redrew the muscles on your updated piece, notice the fibers of Inferior adductor of the auricle are running toward scutilaris, yours looks more like a ball, the muscle is less pronounced and smaller in width. I labeled them on the live deer reference to better illustrate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Superior adductor of the auricle (Green) should just slide in over scutilaris common and goes to the edge of the ear, by moving this up you now create an indentation (White area) you should be able to put your right index finger inside of the ear and pinch the thumb together from the outside into that indent with out alot of space between the fingers. The depressor of the auricle (Yellow) ties in under the inferior adductor of the auricle. I will often sculpt in the scutiform cartilage as a good starting point (red outline, roughly the shape). The scutilaris muscles and superior adductor of the auricle attach here.

[​IMG]

13. deerhunt1985

excellent guys thanks, this is whitetail number 6 for me so i have A WORLD to learn but im trying my best.. think it'll hold up in professional division?

14. setters73

setters73 New Member

KY
    I have to mark this.Very nice info. ;D

15. Check this spot out also......

[​IMG]

Your judge, upon close live inspection and palpation, will give you far superior feedback than any of us by looking at photos. You will learn a ton through competition, keep an open mind and take in as much info as possible. Start collecting some good reference photos, not even the best taxidermists can recall the 1000's of details on a deer from memory! Good luck and enjoy.... your well on your way for deer number six!

16. Excellent information!

17. deerhunt1985

that spot is actually hair swirling, that is one question of mine, on my facial area i have "swirly hair" in places is this natural or need to be worked?

18. Hard to tell, could go either way. there was a whole thread on here about that. Try working it out first, check your inbox I sent you a PM in response to you asking me this question earlier.

19. Ihavn't looked into ear butts nearly as much as you guys ....but it appears to come way too far down the head to me...just seems really heavy

20. deerhunt1985

yeah i feel the thing i spent the most time on is my flaw in this instance, isnt it ironic? LOL yeah they are a little heavy but maybe i have a judge that likes a bigger ear butt and doesnt hit me as hard, but i have to say i am still very satisfied with it, i look forward to another critique face to face. i worked my hair patterns forever last night and i feel pretty comfortable with the "overall" mount, hopefully a second or third mount anyway.

gimme a few shows and ill blue before its over\.....LOL