1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Called WASCO to buy some Lutan, and they sold me on Krowtann...???

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Blane, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Who cares whether we call it a tan or a pickle?

The only question taxidermists should be concerned with is...

Does it work well for taxidermy? (will it last for 50 years?)

Rick,
    How are the 15 year-old-mounts doing?

2. Blane

Blane New Member

???

Attached Files:

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Matt, A pickle only will eventually disintegrate from acid rot. There has to be a tanning agent included. Old mounts look just like they did 15 years ago. It works great for taxidermy. It will last a lot longer than 50 years unless bugs eat it. Most peoples homes are not very well suited for preserving things when compared to museums. Even a leather belt hung on a wall won't last forever. Most modern taxidermy will end up as worthless relics and in the garbage. We won't be around long enough to worry about it.

4. Blane

Blane New Member

Nothing last forever without some deterioration. I am currently re-doing a mount for a guy whos grandfather killed the deer in 1958. It was completely falling apart, and the form was made of cardboard. I wonder if back then they thought things could not get any better. It was an experience to see how far advance things are now compared to then.

5. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Blane-
    Was there arsenic inside that old mount?

6. Blane

Blane New Member

Im no "expert" on arsenics, but I would almost have to say yes. When he pulled that old head out of the plastic bag, it was falling apart , and so deteriorated that some form of dusty particle was going everywhere. I was able to actually pull the antlers and skull cap with just a slight pull, and let him take everything else with him.

7. Blane

Blane New Member

I'm lovin' me some Krow so far...Glad I tried it....Key word is "Tried". Like origonally when I called WASCO, I said I would like to try a new tan, and was wanting to try Lutan, but was asked if I had ever tried Krowtann, and I said no....So far, I'm glad I did...

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, if it was "falling apart" it certainly was NOT arsenic. Arsenic is the perfect embalming fluid and most of you don't really have a clue as to how the arsenic was used anyway. It was arsenic SOAP we used. Next is that crap "nothing lasts forever". Want to explain Otzi and his LEATHER quiver and clothing? Been to the Smithsonian lately? Want to tell me about the elephants in the entrance way? Prehaps the tiger in the new wing? There's a dodo and passenger pigeon in the bird section. Last I heard, Comanche, the only "American" survivor of Custer's Last Stand is still in the National History Museum on the University of Kansas. In FACT, the hide was removed from the old armature and REMOUNTED on another form. One individual on this site just recently mounted a cheetah that had been tanned almost a century ago and John Janelli will tell you of reams of hides tanned by fabled Sinclair Clark that would still mount up today if someone tried.

And I wouldn't expect Rick to say he had an ugly baby now that we know he bears some responsibility in it's marketing. I'd expect the same comments from John Rinehart or even Dan C. Doesn't mean I have to buy into it and certainly doesn't mean it doesn't work. Nor am I now surprised that a receptionist redirected someone who was waffling over the phone in that direction either. It seems like there's nothing that Krowtann can't do better than every other product, but from the initial post, it's pretty obviious it won't cure stupid and it won't convert the purists among us.

9. Hey George have you ever tried it if not try it one time for all of us ;D

10. George

Tried it once in 2000. Ain't taking another bite from that apple regardless of what they do to it.

11. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Blew right past 7 lol, cant wait till a new post come's up bout krowtan lol!

12. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

It's not a tan. :p

lol

13. So George what happen in 2000 when you tried it and what did you try it on ? Did you mount what you tried it on and if so how does it look now ? You know you really want to try again to see if it is better now then it was back then . ;D

15. Well I have to say I have only tried it about six times now and have not had a problem with it yet . I have never had a cape to come out smaller then it was when I started they have always came out a little bigger . I had a friend bring me a deer this year that he shot on Friday and he did not find it until Sunday . I stop rot it and put it in Krowtann and it turned out great no slip and the neck was about two inches bigger . See George it is a lot better now then it was then I bet Rick will give you some free to try out if he doesn't I will . You know you want to, be honest ;D

16. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Gary, how do you like Krowtann's aroma? lol

17. George

Gary, know what? The recipe on Lutan, JRTS, LiquiTan, Curatan, EZ100, and a dozen others including brain tan never needed to be "improved upon" to work today just like they did when they were first marketed. I have a product that I use that's much simpler, much cheaper, and MUCH faster with excellent results. It doesn't burn your eyes or your nostrils and it smells sweet and fresh from start to finish. I don't NEED anything else.

18. I actually kind of like the smell...its a little bit gingery.

I don't think the smell is any worse than vinegar or bleach, and its certainly no where near as strong smelling as laquer thinner, acetone, gasoline, etc...

19. Blane

Blane New Member

Smells like Ole' dead Crow to me.