1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone near Killeen TX Ft. Hood

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Missouri Creek Studio, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

My son just back from Korea is now stationed at Ft. Hood. Looking for a place or tips on finding a place to hunt varmints and Feral Hogs.
    The base only allows the use of a shotgun in their perimeter.
    I told him to contact the county ag extension office or check with the TX dept of wildlife and talk to a area Conservation officer for advise. He will be there for the next year ( saving leave to come home for Gun deer season in Nov here in Il) before he deploys overseas again.
    Hope to make it down there this fall and do some hunting with him. Any advise is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doug
    MCS

2. Contact Rooster or Michael P, they probably have the best leads.

3. give him my number 512-417-7348

4. Doug, where did you son got the information that he cannot use a rifle on post? I have several clients, including civilians, who hunt on post with rifles. Right now is turkey season and that could be the reason for shotgun only rule, but during deer season and varmint season (which there really isn't a set season) rifles are allowed. He would have to sign up and register with Outdoor activities on Ft. Hood. We live only 30 minutes south of Ft. Hood and have a client who guides out there. Let me see if I can find his number and I can pass it on to your son. Your son is more then welcome to give us a call and talk to us as well. 254-793-2120. :)

5. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

Thanks a bunch Rooster and Evelyn. I told him before he left there were some great taxidermists down there that might help him out. He missed hunting so bad in Korea that him and his Sgt resorted to hunting rats with slingshots and chasing ( Can't say what animal) with homemade spears made out of sticks an appropriated steak knives from the mess hall. Until they were confiscated
    He just made E-4 and got a Dear John letter from a girl back home this past week.
    He has his personal AR and my handgun and has been staying with a SGT off base. The brass told him when he moves into his room on base he has to register his weapons with the provost and they will keep them . Guess he can check them out on weekend leave and hunt off base.
    As far as the shotgun only rule?? I know at Ft. Leonard Wood in MO. it's shotgun only.
    We really appreciate the help. You guys are great.