1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just gotta brag on my hunting partner

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Sep 22, 2006.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For those of you who know me and Connie, you know Connie has battled some serious medical problems over the last decade. From losing all her small intestine except 3 feet, having to have her subclavean artery bypassed, and then undergoing removal of half both of her lungs for cancer was followed up by a major stroke that left her in chronic and clinical depression, loss of periphery and no depth perception .

Well, she fought them all and with God given miracles, some fine doctors,and continuing treatment that includes electro-shock therapy, she's beat them all. She had a shock treatment Wednesday and was upset that she was unable to go to her deer stand yesterday. (the treatments contract every muscle in your body and she has a tough time moving for several days afterwards). Well, today was the day and she said she didn't care how much she hurt, she was going to climb that ladder stand today.

She has a medical excuse to use a crossbow,but her other problems of depth perception can create problems. She has a red dot scope on the bow and in her usual stands, I take surveyors tape and mark one ribbon for 20, two for 30 and three for 40 yards to match her scope dots in all her shooting lanes. Today was different in that we were on a field and I had a stand big enough to hold us both. I was her guide and I ranged different spots in the soybean field that had been mown by deer feeding.

Right at 6:20 a small (by most hunters standards) 6 pointer came out right under our stand and walked out to an exact spot of 25 yards. Her bolt connected but the deer ran out of the field. She was dumbfounded and heartbroken, but I had seen blood gushing from both sides of the deer. I tried to calm her down but she wanted to go NOW and find the deer. I convinced her to wait 30 minutes but she still cut me to 20.

When we got down, I wasn't about to trail it through waist high soybeans and I had a good idea where it had entered the woods. I just hoped that the blood trail would be a good one as I suspected. She was shaking so badly I had to help her down the ladder.

We walked down the field and when I cut the blood trial, I had no doubts it would be a short one. She'd never tracked a wounded deer and this was one made in heaven. I put her on the trail and she wound down into a ditch and up the other bank. I saw the deer about 20 yards in, all piled up, but again, her periphery kept her stuck on the trail. She was only 5 yards away when she finally saw the 110 pound yearling laid out. She giggled like a school girl clapping her gloved hands and immediately went over to smooth down its hair and hug it.

I love deer hunting, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed it any more than I did on a night when I did absolutely nothing but watch it all play out.

2. George that is one of the best hunting stories I have ever heard.That truly is awesome.I wish you two many more hunts. God bless

3. Awesome George. What a great testimonial to the love of deer hunting.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I can only hope to top that story George. My wife is looking for her first buck. Connie Sure looks happy, and I know you are too, thats cool.

5. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Give Aunt Connie one of those Karma things from all of us!

6. nuthin fancy

nuthin fancy New Member

i only wish i could get my wife to deer hunt .lost my dad two years ago and diddnt even hunt last year. he was always my hunig partner . my wife is from the city and she hates it when they jump out in the road. in front of her of course.she thinks they are beautiful and people have to thinks shes crazed she will stop and just watch them. she will roll down the window and talk to them like they understand her!! i try tellin her they will run but she just keeps talkin. all well no hope for her in the stand .if i got her to go she would talk them to death l.o.l.

7. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

George, stories like that are a true testimony of the passion only a true outdoors person can appreciate. That buck could have scored 210 B&C and her smile would have been no different. PRICELESS..........

8. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    great story George, i sure hope your gonna mount that for Connie!

9. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

Boy George, that was really great to ready today. There is so much satisfaction seeing someone you love enjoy the outdoors, especially with you being there to help share it. When you can share those moments together, it makes live great! Glad it worked out so well, and you tell a great story. Enjoy those memories!

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You are a lucky man George. So many never find a true soulmate.

11. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

George,
    What a sad and happy story all in one.I pray Connie has better health and keeps her beutiful smille each day.
    Rod Rock

12. mrdux

mrdux Member

I really enjoyed that, George. Too many times there is way too much emphasis put on quantity rather than quality. This goes for our time afield and our time here on earth. I'm envious of your relationship with your lovely wife. My wife supports my vocation and my time afield, she just doesn't care to participate. Here's hoping for many more quality times afield for the both of you---together.

13. The smile on Connie's face says it all. I would have liked to been a fly on the wall for that twenty minutes you waited to track the deer. ;D

Thanks for sharing George-- really uplifting.

14. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

George I can see that you and Connie were a match made in haven. With your two love of the outdoors and the battles you both have been fighting I truly believe that god has a special place for both of you. The picture of Connie with her trophy buck would look good on the cover of field & Stream.

15. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Georgie.......even with your cantankerous ways, and that hard edge you often show, the wonderful soft side of you has defiantly found a place in the heart of your wife Connie......well done my friend!.......just wondering tho......when it came to the ugly part of the story, did you use the Rasmussen "Guttin" Stick"?....all in humor my friend!

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Never mind the tough exterior,that`s the real George that I know!Miss Connie really cracked me up one day as she was telling me about how selective she is about her trophies.She told me "If it`s brown,it`s down".LOL Thanks George and Connie for starting this day off on a positive note.

17. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

Excellent story George. I know where you're coming from. My wife hunts with me too. Usually she's carrying the video camera. Last year she carried a gun too, and got her 1st caribou. That made the whole trip! May Connie spend many more days like this with you. Priceless!!

18. Paul I

Paul I New Member

Thanks for sharing that picture.Its nice seeing people who love each other and act like one.Very rare now.

19. taxyman

taxyman Member

Thanks for sharing that story with everybody George. You can tell Connie is VERY HAPPY. ;D
    taxyman

20. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

George
    Tell Connie ,congratulations. I'm sure your very proud and you was a great guide.