1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What should I add to my solution?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jason Lost, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Jason Lost

Jason Lost Guest

Since it is hard to find Gambier or Terra Japonica what could I use to go with my Aluminum Sulfate? Also what other Homemade solutions is out there? I am just starting at this and would perfer homemade solutions.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Jason, why are you going with homemade solutions here. There is no reason for this since you can get kits to help you with all of your tanning needs and such a better job.

You should check out Rittel's or Knobloch's web sites and find out all of the different ways of tanning.

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Jason - if you're tanning leather then it's OK to add the vegetable extracts - the impurities will add various shades of brown to the leather depending on which extract you choose. But on hair or fur for Taxidermy purposes keep in mind that the vegetable extracts will discolor your white areas and dull light colors. It's definitely not something you want to tan with for Taxidermy.

4. Jason Lost

Jason Lost Guest

Its not for Taxidermy purposes. I would just really like to tan using homemade solutions at first.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jason, you do understand this is a TAXIDERMY site and few of us bother with the witches brews of years gone by. There is a website for brain tanning (www.braintan.com) or you can use the bark of oak trees. Very few practicing taxidermists even know about those methods and most don't actually care to as it's counterproductive to what we do for a living. Sorry.

6. 458okie

458okie Jeff "458okie" W.

Rittles Saftee acid and a brush on tan such as McKenzie or Rinehart works great.