1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rug work

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by alan webfoot, Apr 13, 2010.

1. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

would Mackenzie tan [brush on oil] work for a rug ,,bear?

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Any tanning agent will work, as long as you use a pickle prior to to the tanning , and go through the proper thinning degreasing processes , as well as oiling and breaking and finishing steps.

3. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Mckenzie tan will work for your bear rug, but like muscle20 stated proper pickling, fleshing, thinning and degreaseing is a must and be prepared to do alot of oiling and breaking the hide but if done correctly you can get good results, When fleshing and thinning make sure that you do not shave through the roots of the hair off or you'll lose hair.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

thanks guys the shaving part is what worries me Iv'e seen bear that had as much hair on flesh side as top side

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Bears should not be done in house. Use a commercial tannery & a commercial rugger. We make a profit of approx $500. for mounting the head & finishing it. It is a top of the line product when all the experts get done.

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

your right and you talked me out of it a bad job =another upset customer nad another black eye on this art