1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkeys of the year 2010

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AOTaxi, Apr 15, 2010.

1. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

I haven't seen a post for it yet so I guess I will get one going...
    Our year started off with a BANG BANG!! I had a hunter that I got 2 different toms to come into range for @ 35 yards and BANG ..miss ,,,,, 20 minutes later another BANG miss, ..
    On Monday morning I took a neighbor of mine that is going through kemo treatments and we were able to get a tom to 30 yards for him and he connected!! That had to be one of the most rewarding hunts that I have been a part of, it could not have worked out any better!!
    Tonight we had another hunter within 40 yards, ... Bang and watched a nice tom fly off.... back at it tomorrow mornin for a quick hunt!
    Lets see those pics from your hunts this year!!

Here's Lane and I with his bird, that he took on Monday. Hope to have a few more pics to post over the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

2. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

That's Great Adam.

3. The pics didnt turn out very well do to operator error, but here is turkey #1 for 2010. Is from south California. Must be a hybrid, but all the other birds looked like rios. This one doesnt, but didnt notice it till it was too late. Anyway 9 3/4" beard 1" spurs. 13 yard shot out of a blind. Now onto MT birds.
    [​IMG]

4. JAMES R

JAMES R New Member

Congrats, our youth season starts Saturday, hopefully I will have a picture of my daughter and her turkey to post. I took a guy on a handicap turkey hunt last Saturday, called in a bird and he skirted the pretty boy decoy, must have had his but whipped recently cause he was an adult bird. Good luck James

5. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Heres my bird, killed him tuesday morning before school. 10 inch beard, inch spurs... Stokes county NC

[​IMG]

6. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Looks Rio to me. 20 tail feathers too?

7. Ive killed rios before and this one is weird looking. His rump feathers are really rust colored. They are alot darker than it looks in the pic. It also has some weird feathers with those dark tips scattered through the rump area where usually its buff. It be nice if it was, Im working on my archery slam and needed a rio which was why I went to CA.

8. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

X2
    we get alot of hybrid rio x merriams in southern Utah, and that looks to me like a rio all the way through!!

9. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

hey gobbling fever good going uour season starts next Mon, is that the lighting or are there breast feathers tipped with cinnamon color too?

10. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

My first bird of 2010. Weighed 23 pounds, 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs. Was a great hunt. Got him and another tom worked up and strutted right in to the decoys like they read the script!

Attached Files:

11. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

GOT ER DONE!!!
    My buddy that missed last night was able to smoke a nice tom tonight.....9 1/2" beard 7/8" spurs!
    Congrats to Josh!! I will post a pic when he emails them to me. He happened to have the only camera in the field, so I only got a few pics on the cell phone after we were at the house.
    AO

12. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

What part of southern Cal did you shoot that bird ?
    The San Diego area turkeys are Eastern/Rio hybrids brought in from Kansas.
    The rest of the state has Rios in the foothills and Merriam's in the higher elevations.

13. Glass- I was hunting about 6 miles to the north east of the town of Squaw Valley ( Not the ski area, the one a East and a little north of LA). All the other birds in the area looked like rios to me. This one was quite distict compared to them. I had not seen it prior to shooting it.

Also, Im very familiar with turkeys, this in my 80th bird, I have 3 grand slams and am almost done my archery slam. To me, it looks pretty odd. Its cool looking and Im going to hang the cape on my wall with my other ones soon as I get it dried and put on the felt.

If I had to make a guess on the origion of this ones genetics its either a weird colored rio or has some eastern influence. Those breast feathers are not a reflection/refraction of the pigment or highlights they are that color. Its been awhile since Ive shot a rio so maybe Im just out of tune. LOL

14. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Eastern / Rio Hybrid shot last year.

Attached Files:

• 2009.jpg
      2009.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
  15. schenk

schenk Member

9.5" beard, 1 3/16" spurs, 20#'s, first bird. Killed in Arkansas with a 20ga 3" #5's at 15yards.
    [​IMG]

16. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

great thread. it will be nice to see everyones birds. our first season is the 19th. im about to get real busy. $$$$$$$

17. Arrowed this Eastern bird last Sunday. After lots of calling and patience, this bird and another finally crossed a small river after their morning routine with several hens. Shot him at 14 yards in full strut as he approached the decoy set. The shot appeared good, but the recovery took me close to an hour to find the bird after he went several hundred yards. I am always amazed at the toughness of these birds. The bird weighed 23# with a 9" beard and 1" spurs. Great thread here, hope to see several more post guys and gals!

Attached Files:

18. Raspy

Raspy New Member

Shot this one Sunday morning at about 45yds just before he ducked back into the timber. 21 lbs, 12 inch beard, 1-1/4" spurs

[​IMG]

19. Called this one in for my friend and fellow T.O.G. Outdoors prostaff member Tom Harris. Came in silent but right to Terrible Terry my full strut decoy that I mounted several years ago. I also filmed this turkey being shot for our upcoming DVD that should be out by thanksgiving day. He weighed 22.5 and had a 10 inch beard and 7/8 inch spurs. You can find out more about T.O.G. Outdoors at togoutdoors.net
    This is a great thread and I look forward to not only posting more pics but seeing all off everyone elses ass well. Keep them coming.

Attached Files:

20. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

I got this one the first day of the season. 22.5 lbs, 11" beard, 7/8" spurs. He put on a good show but couldn't resist my 3 mounted hen decoys.
    [​IMG]