1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bumps under skin of tanned hide.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Leslie, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I don't know how to describe this, but i noticed a few bumps under the skin of a deer that I tanned with Krowtan. These bumps do show up through the skin of a summer deer that I have already mounted. It is also on the skin side of a hide I tanned for antler mounts. The hair is not slipping, and the bumps only showed up after several weeks and the hide is completely dry. Can any one help me with what causes this? And if so, will this cause problems down the road? The bumps are very small and probably won't be noticeable on a deer with normal length hair. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Leslie,
    Those are probably salt bumps from the pickle solution. What you will have to do is break the hide on the leather side to work them out. It is common for people that don't break the hide in a large drum and with staking machines. You can try pulling the hide around a sharp edge if you are lacking machinery. One suggestion in here was an ax head mounted in a vise. Work your hide back and forth over that and get ready to apply elbow grease.

3. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Ironic? Isn't the term "elbow grease" originally from the old world tanneries form of staking a hide?

4. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Thanks! That makes sense. I don't have a drum yet, so I will have to do it by hand. I was worried that all the hair was going to fall out of the deer a month after the customer took it home. I hope to get busy enough to send the capes out soon, but right now I have more time than money.

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Also,

Make certain that there are no particles under the hide when you put it on the manikin. A small piece of foam from form alteration or trimming even a lump in your clay or hide paste will show up when the hide shrinks and sets to the form. ;)