1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear experts PLEASE reply!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mooser, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I have a coastal black bear that is 70" long and roughly 50" around. Can I get away with using a grizzly or brown bear body with a Black Bear change out head? He is looking for a laying down or sitting pose. Any suggestions?

Here is the manikin is was looking a trying to use. Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Measure the skin, fit the form to the skin.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The coastal black bear is one of the FEW specimen of black bear that I think Tom Ray's forms were designed over. These are chunky bears and his forms are as chunky as you get. HOWEVER, if they don't fit and you need to use a grizzly, by all means go for it. You will need to change two physical characteristics. You'll have to take off the hump and you need to work on the face to get rid of that dished out appearance of the head. That again is why I'd recommend Toms forms on this bruiser.

4. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Good call, George.

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    That particular mannikin was sculpted by Forest Hart ... not Tommy Ray. Other than that, George gave you sound advice! ;)

John.

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Watch the legs close!! Grizzlies tend to have longer legs then black bears.
    Ralph