1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

5th Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jcompton, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

What do yall think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. looks good

3. woodduck

woodduck Member

Really nice mount keep up the good work.

4. very nice

5. coreyponder

coreyponder New Member

whose form is that?

6. jcompton

Its a McKenzie form

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Your nose pad looks like a rush job. You made your own nodules instead of using the deer's original nod's. Looks like a raspberry nose. Anatomically incorrect, deduct points. The mount overall is great and looks sharp and clean, but the nose shows signs of a rushed short cut. No sense in doing a great job in one area and skimping on the part closest to the public. Make them smaller and take your time, do it right. Comp my man, your a smart guy, take some lacquer thinner, wipe the nose off and re-do. Rick Carter had an article in the last Breakthrough on nose finishing, as well as other greats in the past have articles in Breakthrough also. Lots of places to dig around for better nose tips.

8. jcompton

Thanks Mr.T, that nose job was not rushed, I spent alot of time on that jacked-up nose LOL,thats the best I could do,I didnt have any good reference but I did TRY to use the original nodules with a syringe and MP, I would try to redo it but the customer has already picked it up.

9. Just a suggestion, go to your local fly fishing shop and buy a head cement applicator...bascially its just a very small plastic bottle with a needle like tip. It is easier to hold then a syringe and you can control the amount of mod podge better when forming the nodule sizes by adjusting the squeezing pressure.

10. paul e

paul e New Member

nice mount for doing so few
    i cant see if any front lip is showing(maybe its the pics)
    also Mr.T is right
    get some better reference
    but your well on your way from what i see
    nice and clean looking

11. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I think it's supreme. Nice job. Nodules on nose looks nice to me.
    Chuck

12. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

Very Nice indeed!

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Nod's are small, not like rasberries. I use to make rasberry noses, until I got dinged in competition.

[​IMG]

14. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Although my noses are improving, I still struggle with them a little. Also the bottom lip is giving me fits. I just cant seem to get that alive look. I have been taking extra time on the commercial mounts trying to get some practice for competition deer. I have been trying oil paints lately to see if I can get a realistic nose. Honestly, I'm still not happy with my finished nose/lip. I have been experimenting with several different colors also. Maybe I'm beeing too hard on myself, i dont know. For your 5th mount it looks awesome! Keep up the great work!

15. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Really nice work!

MLP

16. so are yall saying that his nose pad nodules are too big and raised too much?

17. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

awesome it looks good and very clean

18. despite all the hard criticsm...I love it, would be proud to have someone like you mount on for me!

19. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Oh, it was a mount :eek:??? I thought that some tough headed deer was coming thru a tree ;D!! Really lifelike, very nice mount! ;)

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I use a pointed probe type tool and just dab a small drop on the existing nodes. Very precise and fast.
    I love the mount. I couldn't do any better personally.