1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Speed Shaving

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I thought a few of you might get a kick out of this? ;D

Me shaving a Mule Deer cape. Machine is called a Reliable. Alot of exposed knife huh?

Hit a bullet on the cape before this one, so I had to steel often. :mad: Also I didnt notice the legs were tubed, till after I started. Slowed me down a little. Still not a bad time, I guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCfR3npLBH4

2. silverwolf

silverwolf New Member

I definately got a kick out of that Old Shaver, If I tried to shave that fast I would be pulling back bloody stumps for fingers. Great job showing your talent on a shaver.

3. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

That's impossible.

I've talked to a lot of shavers and they all say it takes them "about 10 minutes" to shave a deer cape. Never seen one of em do it in less than 25.

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Kind of reminded me that I should get to work LOL.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Sweet! I notice that you cut off the machine and steel while the blade is coasting...what is the rational for that?....safety maybe?

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

So what's the big deal. I can do it just like that. The cape will look like a hula skirt when I'm finished, but I can do it that fast I'm sure. Aubrey, it's pretty obvious this ain't your first rodeo.

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

No, the machine stays running? You cant steel with the machine off.

The blade just has alot of crud built up on it, so it does look like it is turning a little slow, I guess. It has a 2hp motor on it, so its moving at a good clip!

8. Impressive Aubrey!!!!

9. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    awesome Old shaver, That is insane I thought my 30 minutes per cape average was good.

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

What took you so long?

11. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    oldshaver, what is the benefit or reason for having that much blade exposed ??
    That would take some practice to keep from cutting my arm badly !!

12. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Had to watch it twice....blinked during the first run and missed most of it..

13. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

I'm doing things still by hand, that brought a tear to my eye.

14. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

LOL I can do it three ya right. Now that's a pro at it great job old shaver!

15. paul e

paul e New Member

Old Shaver are you wetting out appetite for a shaving dvd?
    if you are its working

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

he just did,,didn't you see it? That was it. Thanks for the lesson OS.

17. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

i'd buy one!

18. nitt

nitt Member

Very nice and i thought when i did um in 15 min I was movin but then again probally havent shaved as many

19. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

cool I was very happy with the one I did in 25 mins yesterday afternoon. that is until the LAST TAG OF SKIN, I was pulling from the ear out infront of the blade turned loose.

you know that spinning blade above the guard finds knuckle bone real quick. so that 25 mins turned in to a 1 hour round trip to the uregent care clinic 45 mins in the clinic and a 30 dollar co-pay. plus a freakin sore shoulder from the tetanus(SP) shot and a even more sore thumb.

Lesson learned. everything goes to tannery come next season. :D where you speed shavers can cut em.

20. That's fast shaving...but...did you speed up that video just a little bit?