1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Speed Shaving

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Apr 20, 2010.

1. paul e

paul e New Member

well Oldshaver are you still contemplating a full DVD production ,maybe a couple hours long?
    a lot of us would buy it

or did the shaving mafia scare you out of it lol

ARE YOU TEASING US?! LMAO

2. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

If you think thats fast, you should see his fat ass headed to the breakroom at lunch time. ;D

3. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

D@MN! Now that is was a demo of why they can get the quantity out the door that they do. Other then sitting in the special sauce the job is done. There is no NO WAY a taxidermist can compete with skills like those to get volume through the door.

OS can you do another with the setting of the guards and steeling the blade a bit slower and from a different angle so we can see actually how your doing it?

Thanks

Jeff

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Matt Finney, HELL NO, I didnt speed the video up!? To me, that would be the same as lieing.

Actually, I thought the first thing someone would say, would be that I didnt shave it thin, which I did. Coasting speed, is around 8 capes per hour.

At around 40 seconds into the video, listen to the music in the background. You can hear part of the song, " I can only Imagine" by Mercy Me. Everybody has heard that song. Dont sound like the chipmunks to me? You can also hear Darius Rucker singing "Alright" in the background. If you listen REAL close, you can hear me almost bust out singing!LOL

When I said something about "exposed knife", I was refering to the top of the machine. On most of yalls machines, the knife is completely covered.

I will see if I can get the guy that loaded this clip for me, to do one more tomorrow?

5. OS....Are you standing Behind or on the right side of your machine... Also I was looking forward to seeing that cape all layed out at the end.

6. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    OS, I knew what you meant about exposed knife or blade, your right that mine is covered. I am just wondering why yours is exposed? What benefit or reason for it ? I know it makes it easier to put the steels to the blade. But what other reason or is that just the way that machine is ?

7. That's the way those machines were made. Aubrey's Ol Buddy Dave Patton uses the same machine.

8. HQ

HQ New Member

LOL! I didnt know you and Dave shared a shaving machine.

9. The same brand Jeremy! LMAO!

10. Paul,
    That's funny right there!! Fuggitaboutit!

Ya'll see how serious Shelby was about her question? Shelby he doesn't stand to the left or behind, HE STANDS ALL AROUND IT!!!! LOLOLOL
    I can't believe Shelby slipped down to see Marty D in Fayetteville and didn't come 45 minutes north to Smithfield to find out how to stand behind the shaving machine!! Shelby, when you get back this way, you have to stop in and visit!

11. LOL David. For me that's not possible... I have to stand to the left of my machine. I'm too damn short to do it any other way. My machine is VERY similar to that one, Guard and blade wise but Taller(hard to tell exactly from that angle). I would have stayed a couple extra days but it would have cost more in airfare to fly out 2 days later, that I didn't have. I wanted to Get up to Carolina and meet OS, but it wasn't gonna happen that trip.

12. I understand that! I was 75 miles from Voyer while I was in Boston and with the rush of Dr. visits and just logisticals trying to manuever in downtown Boston, mu days were hectic and very full. I wanted to visit some of the surrounding taxidermists and couldn't pull it off either.
    To answer your question though, the Reliable is set up with a flat side to the left and a curved side to the right. If you pull a cut from the right, you pull the hide into your body and can really lay down a long cut. If you stand to the left, you are pulling away from your body, so mechanically and physically it is very awkward to be left of the machine. Can you post a pic of your machine so we can see the profile from behind where you would be standing?

13. X2

Hey, that deer cape went down fast, but that was a sprint versus a marathon. Try 8 days straight of 14 hours each. I finally have gotten the feeling back in my fingers from last October at Sivco. If you can average 8 deer an hour coasting, then 50 should be done in 6 hours and 15 minutes.
    OS ain't no fool, he knows that out of 50 capes, the average is more like 6 an hour. Consider 17" capes and 24" capes mixed together with a whole lot of 20 " capes.

14. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

There is NO way I could do one that fast I stand to the left of the machine because that is how I taught myself, so I could see that lip on the blade and keep my thumb out of it, my arms and shoulders do get tired but I only shave a couple a week tops I tried the right side and thank God it was a practice cape that sucker looked like swiss cheese when I was done.

15. Professional shavers work at that rate in high output commercial tanneries. If you ever get a chance to visit a large tannery with a group of shavers, take the opportunity to do it. Any profession that exists is going to have a group of people that take the skill to a level that the layman couldn't dream of reaching. It just happens when you spend 40-50 hours a week doing one thing and one thing only....pulling hides across a shaving machine. I once saw a video of a garment dresser who had 25 guys all going like that on mink. It is a rare sight. The union fleshers would get loads of 1000 mink per man and finish them in less than 8 hours back in the 70's. Seven to nine strokes per mink and it was done.

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

it takes me a solid 45 min to 1 hour but I shave the face by hand.

17. Bottom line is can you mount it and do you have to repair a bunch of holes. If you have to take an hour to shave a cape and get a good mount, then that is what counts. Now, if you start mounting 150 deer a year, you might want to rethink the time you are spending shaving and let that part go to the guy that specializes in that job.
    Granny used to say, "It is hard to beat a man at his own game"

18. Here Ya Go... I was too lazy to pull something up to let it drip... and Acutally shave something. Or put real shoes on for that matter... Didn't have anyone to run the camera anyway..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

If Shelby is standing at 9 o'clock, I stand at 7 o'clock quartering toward the machine. Saves on holes in the skins, both mine and the deer's. Can't play guitar or type on the computer without looking either.

I've seen the guys like David is talking about, hardly looking at what they are doing.

For buffs I compromise and stand right in the middle.

20. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Shelby, Girl you need a Booster seat that machine is almost bigger then you are. ;D

Jeff