1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Speed Shaving

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Apr 20, 2010.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

What happened to that Thumb there OS LOL..............
    Three nips and I quit for the day or One Bad one ...................

2. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I'm just AMAZED!

I have a Dakota pro with GOOD protective shiels; I wear kevlar gloves and even thought I have not had a injury...I still have a FEAR of that blade. OS makes it look WAY too easy.

3. Sure it has the backside guard Dave, I don't use it and people that know me know i don't, but when we sell a machine to somebody we don't tell them to take it off, that's their call. Our old buddy Henry had about five of those reliables, I was going to grab them for Piwetz but the land lord changed the locks!

4. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I can't see the video as I am at work and were not allowed to watch You tube stuff..

I have 3 Green brown bears on the table in the shop thawing now..that I will be fleshing tonght, when I went to bed last night.. I was cringing in my sleep knowing I will more than likely nip at least 1 of my fingers once or twice on the dang blade... URGGG.. I need to learn all I can about the proper flshing techniques, and how to properly set the guards.. Everytime I am on it for a length of time.. WHAM.. I usually slice off a chunck of my left thumb.. LMAO.. I already have the Peroxide and band ;Daids ready..

5. TD

Notice how OS holds his thumbs up and the way He holds the cape..........practice that........... but...............PUT ON THE GLOVES FIRST!!!!
    GL

6. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Jesse, get some Kevlar gloves. I have a couple pairs I got from differant places. Fish skinning gloves will work also. I then put latex gloves on over the protective gloves.

7. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

OldShaver,OldShaver,OldShaver,..........................keep working at it, dont give up!!! You will get there in time.

hahahaha That was sick!! You got SKILL!! Serious SKILL!!

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Great job Aubry!

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I managed to use the fleshing machine last night on the bears.. didnt get cut by the blade once.. LOL.. I did stab myself in the left thumb with the knife though.. Salt in a open wound sucks.. I need to get me some kevlar gloves for sure

10. TD

I just buy the cheap gloves at the dollar store,there not as good as the kevlar but they do help prevent the nicks.......
    The white gloves with the grips on the palms.........
    Wall mart carries then too...........

11. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I have a black bear to do, which will be my first bear.....and I'm guessing the grease snots make for plenty to clean up?!?!?

12. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I started last night when I got home on the first Brownie that was thawed...at 1730ish Took about 2 hours then was on the second when the wife came home and I guess it stunk like fish.. I thought it smelled like bear..

Yeah it was a soupy snotty mess.. the thinner red meat came off quick and in strings.. but the fat was kinda just almost like it was melted off.. At 11 last night I had 1 more to go.. at 0330 I had all of them turned, fleshed and salted.. rolled up and draining.. Tonight will be worst.. they will be a tad stiffer, Heavier from the juices and damp salt and the salt will fly up and get in your eyes.. Burns like heck. (yeah, even with eye pro).. it gets in their now and then.. Their very hard to hang on to and are real slippery.. The salt gives you grip but it dulls the blade, and flies in your eyes.. Its a catch 22

13. That was pretty quick ! It would be curious to see how OS would handle an Australian sambar - between 1/2"and 3/4 " down the dorsal line once they pickled & 1/4" between the coronets and tougher than saddle leather ! and shrinks better than a holiday ( vacation) bank balance unless shaved to the pigment layer !

14. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Peter, I cant shave a sanbar that fast, thats for sure. I have shaved many of them though, along with kangaroo, wallaby, and the Ausi opossum.

You probablly dont know it, but I have shaved in commercial tanneries most of my adult life, so you will be hard pressed to find a skin of any type, or continent, that I have not shaved before. 8)