1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My best Save to date, Huge 45yr old African Lion skin

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jerry Huffaker, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

This skin was found in an old taxidermist's shop after he passed away by his nephew. He wanted us to mount the Lion in Memory of his Uncle. As best we could figure the skin had been tanned for 45+ yrs, by New Method Fur Dressing. When I soaked it up, the ears and tail were like wet, soggy paper towel. The skin would pull apart like a piece of white bread. The nose pad was gone. The body and legs weren't too bad though , it did have some stretch so I did get it back out close to size. There are ZERO STITCHES , I pinned the entire mount. The skin was so soft it wouldn't sew. This mount wouldn't win squat at a competition it has many problems, but they are very excited that we did get in mounted and the family will enjoy for generations to come. If the cat guys want to critique that will be fine, but I did the best I could with what I had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amazing save, Jerry, Beautiful cat.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I like it too. Makes me want one.

4. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Excellent save!

5. Jerry

Jerry New Member

WOW!!! Looks great to me Jer. From where I'm looking, I would never know you had any problems. You are a talented man.

6. cooper669

cooper669 New Member

Beautiful lion. Great save.

7. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

All I can say is wow and great save!

8. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Amazing save, and look at the mane on that thing, beautiful job.

9. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Really nice job !

10. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Congrats to you on saving such a wonderful and majestic animal Jerry! Who cares about comp. quality in certain
    circumstances such as this. It would have been a waste and total shame to leave that skin alone for another 45 years.
    JOB WELL DONE! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    So, Jerry ... was this the big guy your were having fun with last week? ;)
    [​IMG]

Jerry,

He looks grand! Too bad about all the skin oxidation! But ... and this is the important part ... you DID save him, and with that, you saved some memories for a family! And that is priceless!! You took what was a disaster, and turned it into a Noble Beast. Well done, my friend ... well done!

John.

12. amazing, great save.

YOU DA MAN

13. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    WOW!!! I'm very impressed that there are no stitches! Awesome save for sure. It's good that an animal like that didn't go to waste. Very, very nice, thanks for sharing, Daniel

14. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

critique are you kidding whats to critique?? looks fantastic he has a look that says that wildebeast riiiiiight there will do just fine

15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Awesome!

16. Wow awesome

17. Matt

Matt Active Member

Jerry, just when I thought I couldn't be anymore impressed with your work! Very nice, you did an outstanding job as usual! I am sure they will be very happy with it.

18. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

That's sweet Jerry, Very Nice save!!

19. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Way to go.

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

wow, that sucker is awesome. looks perfect to me. id love to own that! great job!!!!