1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

LA Blue Ribbon Winner: Did He Cheat?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Doug Bridges, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Not the same fish

47 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. Maybe the same fish

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. It is the same fish, I think

35 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Cheater, Cheater pants on the ground!

135 vote(s)
    58.4%
  1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Once a cheat, always a cheat. And any and all comps before being caught then get questioned.
    They've probably always cheated.

IMO Being a cheat is just as bad as being a thief. It hurts all parties involved.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

SO....

So what is this guy's real name. I couldn't find it on his profile.

Kerby...

3. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

We had a guy years ago enter a turky in our Indiana show. Turns out the turky was bought from one Cally Morris. By chance our bird judge was: you guessed it! Cally Morris! Busted!!!!

4. Double J Taxidermy
    James W. Jennings, Jr.
    5706 Shreveport-Blanchard Hwy.
    Shreveport, LA 71107
    Phone 318-929-4856 or 318-286-0994

5. zachariah1548

zachariah1548 New Member

Russ I was at the La show when that took place a couple years ago with the pheasant,he did win a bunch of awards because he is a very good taxidermist but the bird in question he got a 2nd on and no awards were won with it!

6. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Monty that is the one I was talking about. I just didn't mention names or which state.
    Man , I was there also, what a scene that was !!

7. This is the Pumpkinseed that should be next to MY CRAPPIE. I didn't have time to finish it for the MTA show and how ironic James used a seed. I still can't stop thinking about this how a person could stoop so low. Shame on you James and to anyone else who has done such a thing. You should be stripped of your awards and they should be given to the next best fish at the LA comp. What hurts the most is thinking about the honest people that entered pieces at the LA competition and got beat by something bought, holy crap. Not to mention the 3 hours it took me to package the fish so carefully (that I didn't charge you for) because I did not want the fish or the BASE to get damaged. ALso I was concerned about the attachment point of the fish if it was secure enough for shipping. How hard was it to break the fish off the base James? Im pissed and have said enough. One more thing, THAT IS MY FISH!!! and the fins suck.

Attached Files:

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Well Randy, YOU did a great job on it.

9. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

X2

10. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

So after all this discussion whats gonna happen to the Redneck Dirtbag Cheeter?

11. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

I agree, HE the guy were talking about IS a great taxidermist, thats why i was shocked and astonished at him admitting to doing that. either way it was work of another and that taints ALL that you do from then on.

12. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    I know NC has a rule about entering a mount you did not do. I would bet most states have some rule also about entering others work as yours. Cars that Jay Leno is entering the people know that others restored them, cars and taxidermy competition are to different types od competition

13. bw

bw New Member

The exact same thing happened in Illinois if I remember correctly. Cally initialed his wholesale work, and the dummy was stupid enough to bring it to the show he knew Cally would be judging!! He was banned for a period, but eventually came back.

14. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

Years ago, in several of our Texas shows this happened wiyh 2 pretty famous taxidermists. It took a while to catch them. One was caught outright also trying to enter a Cally Morris turkey. He was going to be President that year I beleive, but was quiietly asked to leave and not come back. The sad part was he won the Arkansas show the year before for Best All around with me and Dawn Crews judging. Little did we know till 4 months later that he had each piece mounted by someone else. He went onto National and worlwide fame in his own way. The other entered a fish mounted by "World Champion" Tom Sexton as his own. John C was the judge and we knew it was Tom's , but could not prove it. He went on to be Game Head world Champion for that year and Pesident of the NTA. These guys were good taxidermists in their own field. They just had to cheat to win. I don't get it. Never will, I guess. You never hear about these two much anymore. Theyre forms are still for sale though.

15. Harum

Harum Active Member

People are going to cheat at all levels but don't let that discourage you or keep you from competing. Instead create the most realistic mount you possibly can and beat them. Your victory will be that much sweeter.

Nice Pumpkinseed Randy.

-Pete

16. Well I think everyone has their minds made up allready, but here is a pic taken of the fish with a tape attached that shows the fish as being only 9 1/2" long while randy's was 12". Make what you'll want out of it as I know you will anyway.
    [​IMG]

17. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    Why use a tape measure? Just post a picture with both fish in picture. With Randy's still on orginal base.

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

X2. That would prove your side of the story.

19. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

yep, thats the only way to settle this once and for all. If you really want to vindicate yourself and prove us all wrong you need to post pics of both fish side by side.
    Amid this controversy, I think the association has a duty to require you to pony up some proof.
    If you were truly innocent as you say, that should be the greatest motivator of all to provide positive proof otherwise.

20. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

He already said...........

He already said that the repro he bought from Randy was sent to a customer.....so he doesn't have it.

And he already said that he molded this crappie all by himself....So show us the mold.........

Kerby...