1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

LA Blue Ribbon Winner: Did He Cheat?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Doug Bridges, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Not the same fish

47 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. Maybe the same fish

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. It is the same fish, I think

35 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Cheater, Cheater pants on the ground!

135 vote(s)
    58.4%
  1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

It's already been proven....gheeeeschkobala people!

It is the SAME FISH!

Ken already did the overlay.

Here's your sign...no really.

Kerby...

2. Kerby Ross

Ya know ... IF....

If he hadn't bought the fish from Randy, and he showed the mold he made, then yes his painting skills would be recognized as awesome.

BUT, he did buy the fish from Randy...AND he can't show us the mold (because he doesn't have it).

And we wonder why jury trials aren't a given. LOL

And guilty people still roam the streets.

Kerby...

3. Here is the length issue explained.

Photo 1 is Randy,s mold. Photo 2 is the fish in questiion.

First Ill start off saying That the bill in Randys picture is more accurate in size visually then the other. This is because his bill is resting on the center line of the fish rather then in front of it.
    Assuming a small portion of the caudal fin was removed and refined there is some length loss in the finished casting.

The white box is the bill size based on the photograph.
    So from left to right.
    The first line is the edge of the tail. The second line is where I assume the finished castings tail would end.
    So taking the bills size we will line the left side of the bill on line #2.
    The bill will end at line #3
    The blue line #4 is the first spine on the anal fin. The blue line #5 is the tip of the jaw.
    You can see the bill ends just a fraction of an inch behind the first spine on the anal fin.

[​IMG]

Now fish #2

Again the white box is the bill size based on the photograph.
    The box was slightly resized to compensate distortion due to perspective (Although small it is enough) The bill is in front of the fish and not on the center line as in the mold photo. this will make the bill seem larger due to it being closer. In the case of a crappie this size about a 3/4" closer to the camera.
    From right to left this time.
    Line #1 is the edge of the caudal fin. We will start the bill there.
    The bill ends on line #2 and the Blue line #3 is the first spine of the anal fin.
    The blue line #4 is the tip of the jaw.

[​IMG]

There is some distortion due to the low resolution of the images, but it easy to see the fish are the exact same length based on the position and relationship to Bills edge and the first spine of the anal fin.

4. And here is the two together.
    There is some slight distortion but the photo angle can easily account for that. Not enough to explain the supposed 2.5" difference between the two.

[​IMG]

5. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

So do you suppose, if the fish are not the same size, he just copied the pattern? If so, WHY?

6. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

7. TDH

TDH New Member

Why not just use a tape measure instead of these 5 dollar bills? jwj already posted a pic of the fish he has its 9 1/2 inches. You guys are making this more complicated than it has to be.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree it's being made more complicated than it is. Tape measures mean nothing, The photos were laid over the top of each other and matched perfectly. I am 100% positive they are the same fish, and I laugh at those of you that still have doubts. HE IS A CHEAT!!!!! Case closed.

9. mike g

mike g Active Member

I am with Cole on this one!

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

A few more observations.

You can get "joke" yardsticks and tapes that say one thing and show another for photos. There are 1 foot Yardsticks you can buy to make your fish look larger for instance.

Second the ORIGINAL owner of the fish says it is HIS work. Don't know about YOU guys but I can spot my work a MILE away. I have come across fish I did 20 years ago and knew it instantly.

Finally Ken's photo overlay proves it is the same fish OR that he is the greatest mimic I have ever seen with an airbrush. He made ZERO mistakes.

11. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

I would like to hear from a LTA board member on what is being done about this?

12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

You can scan a five dollar bill and scale it however you need to and print it out. Then take a blurry picture and shazam!
    Todays technology is good enough to pull off a little caper like this IMO. But to pull off an exact replication of someone elses
    interpretation of reference and duplicate it while scaling it down and making it exact, very unlikely.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Randy is honest as hell and talented as much.

If Randy says the fish is his.......then that damn fish is his! He would not put himself, his business or his state in jeopardy by making false accusations.

To me the debate over whether "he did or ddidn't" ended the second Randy said "it's mine"

14. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

AMEN Mike!

15. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

there wont be anything done, its not the first time its happened, and nothing was done in the past. sad facts, but thats the way it has been there. I loved going to that show, had a blast, but i cant continue to support something that lets this happen and never adresses the issue.

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

x2

17. Kerby Ross

x2 .....

x2 Mike.....

x2 Russ.....

Kerby...

18. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

im pretty sure its the same fish.. i mean Randy would know his work!

19. Here is the mold that my fish came from, previously showed the fish with the tape to show size, Make what you want out of it, I am through with it.
    [​IMG]

20. Kerby Ross

Why....

Why is the tape measure covering the dorsal fins that are in question?

How about a pic showing the dorsal fin that is unique in both fish?

Why cover it up with the tape measure?

Still haven't shown proof.

Kerby...