1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Complant about tannery

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Kilala, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Kilala

Kilala New Member

Do I complain here about a tannery?

2. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

Re: question about complaints

game heads or small mammals section........taxidermy industry on bottom of page is a good one too...

3. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

LOL

4. Kilala

Kilala New Member

They were foxes that got tanned all of the foxes I got from you guys, AndyO, Muckland and two others. Now I have to get foxes like the ones I have again.

5. Bangle

Bangle New Member

Who tanned them Kilala?

6. Kilala

Kilala New Member

It was “Size Doesn’t Matter” Hide Tannery in Florida. They mangled the foxes that I sent to Willingham's Taxidermy. Eliie couldn't do the foxes. They cut open most of the foxes after I told them over the phone and by e-mail I need them to be cased. I will post pictures

7. Ouch....

8. Kilala

Kilala New Member

big ouch on my Marble fox. I payed $225 to end out with big holes on her chest, part of the stomach missing. the right leg split in half and half of the left leg missing. I hope I can still make her into a stuffed animal. All the foxes are greasy which I can fox that

9. Kilala

Kilala New Member

I went over the foxes and there are alot this cut out or missing. Now I lose all this money on these foxes. Shoulld I ask for money for the Marble Fox. Some of her back is missing. I will post pictures later on today

10. Mink

Mink New Member

I will send nothing to Size Doesn't Matter again. Because, apparently, Quality Doesn't Matter for them either!

I do the majority of my tanning in house, but in the case of those foxes, I was overbooked with work and had no time to get them done. So I just tried SDM because they were local and I'd met them at our taxidermy convention once. This was a big mistake on my part, and I give my apologies to Kilalla.

Next time I have to send something to a tannery, it'll go to Sivko, Carolina Fur, or one of the other bigger and reputable places.

I already wrote to SDM about this issue and hopefully it will be resolved soon!

11. Kilala

Kilala New Member

Thanks once again for your help Ellie

12. Kilala

Kilala New Member

Here is what I got back from the tanner. I'm so pissed off!!!! I told her wanted the foxes cased in e-mail and over the phone. Let me know what you guys think.

I am sorry if you are disappointed in the results of some of your hides but we can only work so far with the hides that we are sent. Many of the hides you sent were animals killed with shot guns. The ones with several small holes are from the pellets that were used to kill the animal with. The one with a burn mark is actually where the animal was gut shot and the stain left does not always come out of the hide. I left the hair on one in that area of the gut shot so you could see the mess that was left from the animal being killed in that manner. Several of your hides I could tell you got from different hunters. Some had their ears turned, some did not, some the legs were about shot off after you unfroze them and fleshed them there was simply nothing left, one had the tail striped down and then back up again by someone not knowing how to properly debone the tail. It is very important that people buy hides from trappers that know how to skin and properly kill an animal. When wanting animals cased they shoiuld be sent with all legs and everthing completely turned. I'm not sure what your original arrangement was with Ellie or what she may have agreed to but when sending them to almost any tannery the hides should be prepped. I'm not sure what she may have worked on these or simply didn't even look at them at all. I did explain to you on the hone that hides do come out much better, especially smaller animals, if they are split and not left cased but I typically won't even accept hides to be cased unless they are completely cased and ready to go. Unfortunately, Ellie had called my partner instead of me who did not ask all of the details to begin with.

the other 3 foxes had already been completed as well and do need to be paid for to be shipped. PLease let me know how you would like the rest handled.

Alysia Posey
    Size Doesn't Matter Hide Tannery

So is she asking just for shipping or the tanning? I will not pay for the tanning.

13. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Wow
    A big loss on the marble Kilala!
    It was one of Nid's right?

And I am in process of finding myself a new tanner for anything I can't tan myself

14. Mink

Mink New Member

I'd reccomend Sivko or Carolina Fur, if you want to send something for tanning. Those two have been the most reccomended to me, and I happen to know another taxidermist who uses Sivko and hasn't had a problem. I'll be sending a bear or two to Sivko next month!

15. Kilala

Kilala New Member

The marble fox came from AndyO

16. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I'm a little confused why you send stuff to a tannery in FL when there are a couple in in CA and many excellent tanneries between CA and FL....?

Good luck.

17. Kilala

Kilala New Member

What are the names? I might check into it for next fox and yote season.

18. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Moyle Mink in Idaho http://www.moytown.com/

Golden State tannery: http://www.goldenstatetannery.com/

Wildlife fur dressing: http://www.wildlifefur.com/

I believe Moyle is the better of the 3 I listed.

Here is a better list: http://www.taxidermy.net/suppliers/tanning.php

19. NID-20

NID-20 Well-Known Member

Send the small mammals to Shelby at PL Tannery she is a taxidermist and knows what it has to look like to make a nice mount. The others can do heavy hides but just so so with fragile hides. They do not tumble their wet tans at all . Hair comes back wet and loose and dirty

20. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

PL Tannery last I heard isn't taking new customers. She wouldn't take two badgers from me anyway. Can't say I blame her thought, those animals are STINKY!