1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

15 year old salted cat skin

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by byrdman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I have a wildcat skin that was dorsal skun with everything turned/salted/dried. It has been hanging for about 5 years after 10 years of storage in the freezer.....will this thing still tan for mounting? or should I re-hydrate it and cream tan?

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

All you can do is try to hydrate it ,the fatty acids might of deteriorated it being in that state for such a lengthy time.

3. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    All you can do is try, what have ya got to lose???

4. byrdman

well thats just it I would rather leave it up to a professional tanner....was hoping to get a response from one

5. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I definitely wouldn't send it to a commercial tannery I would want to monitor it through the process. myself I would rehydrate it in a 3# to a gallon of water solution, drain it and get it in a pickle solution, then straight to the tan. just don't drag your feet!

6. byrdman

whats a 3#to a gallon solution?.....3# of what?

7. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

3 pounds of salt to each gallon of water

8. Good Luck... I have 4 cougar here to do... Be salted AT LEAST 13 years. Probably as many as 20. IF all goes well (which I am pretty certian it won't) he will have 4 nice tanned cougar skins. If it doesn't he'll get 4 Really nice Sets of Cougar Claws!

I would not put 3# of salt in a Gallon of water... I am not even sure you can fully dissolve 3 pounds of salt in a gallon of water. It will take a VERY long time to rehydrate. Use a Surfectant and A little salt, maybe a handful per gallon. WATCH it closely. If its starts to fall apart its toast.