1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

CAMEL form for sale

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Knights, May 1, 2010.

1. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

I've gotta lose some weight.

Last time I was over there, I got on a Dromedary and after an hour or so, I got off a Bactrian.....

2. Yes, they are of the Camelid family. But a Llama is a llama, alpaca an alpaca, camel a camel. I was told Llamas and alpacas can interbreed, but not so sure on the camels to llama, etc. I believe the Bactrian and Droms can interbreed, though, but they are both 'camels'.

Wolves, domestic dogs, coyotes, fox are of the canid family, but are also very different animals. Same with camels and alpacas.

3. LOL! =)

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Only here could a hand carved and sculpted manikin for sale of an animal could lead to discussion about friggin genus and how shooting one wasn't sporting(I feel the same way about black bears). Museum Man, when you worked at those places, did YOU ever mount a camel? If so, what did you use?

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Well George, I beg to differ. Ya see IMO sitting in a treestand with a high power rifle or bow over a barrel full if bait waiting for a bear to come stick his head in their so they can be shot.. Isn't very sporty IMO.. Kinda like catching fish at the cabelas in door fish pond.. Next time you talk to Michael p ask him how sporty his bear hunt was.. Hmmm

Who cares if someone disagrees about the relation of llamas and camels?

6. RTF

RTF Active Member

Hey, I finally get to respond to a post that Knights Taxidermy started. How cool is that !

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO Jesse. WE AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep forgetting that SOME people actually do hunt bears without Krispie Kreme donuts. LOL

8. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Nice form and love your show we watched it at work last night on break! Remember the race Camels in Dubai as they do thoroughbreds and Arabians there fast Camels get used for breeding slow camels end up everywhere, meat market, sales, adoption Russel got how much to mount the Camel? instead of discussing how sporting it is maybe after the show you may see some end up at game farms.lol

9. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

great show. I've seen all the episodes so far! Can't wait til next Thursday. Hope the series continues next season. About time "Taxidermy" got some respect.

10. planting-cedar

planting-cedar New Member

Great show my grandsons and myself watch it every week i hope that we get to see it again next season. Thanks for all that you are doing for taxidermy by showing what it takes to do a mount

11. hutnfool2000

hutnfool2000 DROPTINE COLLECTOR.

RUSS,,,, small world,, I am a taxidermist/antler dealer down here in montana,,, kim Kafka stopped out last night to see my 521 inch elks sheds I just aquired,,, said he knows ya,,, and tell the KING CULL tommy cruickshank hi next time he is in the shop,, been good friends for years,, I will stop in this fall when I am up there hunting again,, take care,,, GOOD SHOW TOO,,,, JEFF.

12. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Museum Taxidermists made their own mannikins.

For the commercial Taxidermist, Jonas Brothers Supply used to sell a Camel shoulder form, catalog # 1-986, listed in their 1993 catalog. Used one for a Dromedary Camel mount at Kodiak Taxidermy in Queens, NY around 1979 - it was a "pet" ... I think one of the Camels used for the 'Nativity Scene' in the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show. At one time Jonas was the "Go-To" supplier for ALL Taxidermy head forms and lifesize mannikins. Made no mind that they were mostly paper built ... you needed it, they had it, you learned how to use it!

Nice to see a new, and well made Camel head form on the market again! I'd love to work on another one. Acquiring a skin from anywhere seems to be a rarity. If I ever get the chance to work on another, the head form is coming from Alaska, no doubt about it!

Someone asked what they got for the mount, or that they didn't say ... but they showed $4,500.00 for the pedestal mount.
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea what the guy I worked for charged back in '79, but it wasn't anywhere near that ... and it was a wall mount. There were no pedestal mounts being done back then.

John.

13. buddy1

buddy1 Active Member

Watched your show and it's a great one. The Camel really came out nice too.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Lets see, left the boat and got in the raft at around 9:00 AM to go up the mountain, in between that and shooting the bear around 11:00 we walked through 4 feet of 40* water in which I tripped and filled up my waders, walked through what I refer to now as "Hell's Forest", almost fell through chutes (Chayenne did the week before), went on an unexpected cliff climb and treaded through 6 foot snow drifts that we fell in occasionally. Managed to get a shot on the bear since Jesse brought me in 125 yard range, dragged the bear half way down the mountain, got the rest of the crew, dressed and packed it out and finally got back to the boat at 4:30......that was after 3 ays of living on the boat looking for bear.....I hurt for 2 weeks and Jesse will be laughing at me for 20 years. Sporty.....ohhh hell yeah! :)

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Great show. I was wondering if using what is referred to as "the lay method" rather than tucking the eyes would allow one to cut more scar tissue around an eye like the camel and shape it more like the other one. It looked great, but you could definitely tell it was still different from the other. It still looked great, I was just wondering. Keep up the good work Mr. Knight.

16. Love the show. Its just fun to see what we do on tv in a light that doesn't portray us as the devil.
    Ask any man who ever put on a uniform if they want to shoot a camel?
    Plus, $4500, I'd mount it any day of the week

17. From experience in the mid east camels can be hard to hunt. They are also pretty good with Cavenders a bit greasy, but taste great when all you have had for three months is MRES and Army Hot A-s.

With all the sub species of camels the form will be a good starting place. Like many exotics they're going to need alterations.

18. I think any kind of hunting is sporting. Probably because my business depends on hunting. We have enough opposition to hunting! We as taxidermists have to be supporters of hunting, our industry depends on it! Don't get me wrong I don't support poaching but as long as it is legal I am good with it. I will leave the ethics arguments to those who can afford to express their opinions on such matters. For me it is too expensive.

19. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Agreed!
    I don't care how the animal was harvested, as long as it's legal.
    Some methods I don't agree with, but if a customer came in with a "high fenced" critter and wanted it it mounted, you bet I'd do it!
    After all, I'm a taxidermist, and mounting "dead critters" is what I do:)
    Nothing against high fence, just making an example.......

20. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Love the show. Keep up the good work.

I just have to ask. Is that form for a One Hump or Two Hump Camel. LOL just kidding with ya.

It would be fun to get into that really Big stuff . I mainly do Freeze Dry work , its about 70 % of what I do .

Once again ,,, you all do some really nice work . Have a good one.

Galen Getting

www.edgewatertaxidermy.com