1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner!! Took mallard drake to local taxidermist how can I fix his mistake?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by joshsmallwood1, May 4, 2010.

1. joshsmallwood1

joshsmallwood1 New Member

I shot a mallard drake this winter and I am also wanting to mount some of my own birds. I got this bird back today from a local taxidermist and I was wondering how or if I can fix the color of my birds beak. Any suggestions. I'm new to the forum and new to taxidermy I've only done a few turkey fans in the past. Also what colors or where can I find references to what color to use for the mallard drake beak. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is a pic of the beak.
    [​IMG]

2. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Just strip it with thinner, tape your featherline, I hit it with black first...Then do a wash with thinner, so your leaving some black in the creaveses. Then hit it with yellow ochre, then the nail and nostrils with black again..

3. you picked the bird up like that? how much did you pay for that?

4. scpol

By the way Josh, its called the bill..lol..Can you put a picture of the whole bird up?

5. joshsmallwood1

joshsmallwood1 New Member

Re: Beginner!! Took mallard drake to local taxidermist how can I fix his mistake

Well... this is the best picture I got. Its from my phone. I don't have a camera. I paid him 150 bucks. I thought maybe it could be a project for me to try to fix. I guess everything else look decent but again I'm no pro. I just know I've hunted enough to know that a mallard drake's bill (thanks for the correction) isn't black!
    [​IMG]

6. travis madden

travis madden New Member

I am no pro either but does the neck look off to anybody else? Does not look natural to me. Maybe angle of picture I dont know.

7. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

neck is definately not taxied right, look at reference and you will see that the white ring is in the wrong place all of this neck skin needs to be taxied towards the head giving a much shorter looking neck and giving a much nicer flow from the breast into the neck, the white ring should fall much closer to the center of the neck.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

For $150, you got a good commercial duck...I've seen a heck of a lot worse. Many mallard bills are greenish, which this appears to be. If you want the bill more yellow, I suggest you call your taxidermist and request that he repaint the bill. Take a reference photo with you when you return the bird. I've repainted more than one duck bill for customers...it's not a big deal.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm with Joey. That's an exceptional bird (that "neck is off" is simply opinion. We've all seen birds do silly things that didn't meet "conventional" thinking).

10. scpol

I agree with everyone here...For 150 bucks, you got a decent mount...I dont agree with
    the bill color, but everyone does things differently..Like Joey said, take it back and ask him to repaint the bill.

11. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

x3. and I have seen many a mallard with dark bills. For 150. you got your moneys worth and repainting a bill would be a snap.

12. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I cant even put a bird together that well and I'd charge you ALOT more than $150 ;D

13. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Man, I agree for $150 that is not a bad mount. just paint the bill if you like.

14. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I agree with those who say that you got what you paid for.
    I'm going to step out on a limb, though, and say that that bill wasn't painted at all. That's the normal color they turn when they are dead.
    The taxidermist just gave it a heavy gloss coat and called it done. I am going to guess that the feet are the same way, and probably not injected.

15. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I'm agreeing with Nancy. Other than saying that, I'm biting my lip. :-X

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

150 for a duck mount is sure cheap.....you got what you paid for

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look, if that guy is doing them for contract work, send me his address. He can sure do my birds and I'll paint the damned bills AND FEET for that price with that quality of work.

18. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

It's well groomed. LOL

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Mark11 "taxi" does not mean to move skin around.....taxi in the word taxidermist means to move or arrange skins by species what scientist/naturalists did with stuffed skins way back when.

20. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I agree with Nancy, and Steve.

I don't think it was painted, and can we get a front angle to show the feet? Or just a picture of his feet. If he didn't paint the bill most likely he didn't inject the feet, and/or painted them either.

Taxi does mean move. Derma means skin, so you move skin. Taxidermist means a person who moves skin.

Mark11 was explaining the the "taxidermist" did not move the skin properly on the neck.