1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spray Painted Antlers (HELP)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by cabezacreek, May 5, 2010.

1. cabezacreek

cabezacreek New Member

Got a good one, Had a customer come in had a Mule Deer Mount Pretty Old, but her boys had painted the antlers blue in several different spots and all over the head. I have been able to get all of the blue off the hair and been able to tone the blue down some on the antlers, but the rest of the blue just stays it has really absorbed in. Any suggestions will be extremely helpful on how can I restore the color back to the antlers and hide the blue or remove all of the blue somehow.

2. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

re stain with paint the whole antlers

3. Gooter

Gooter My Taxidermy Assistant

I wonder if the guys in the bones (skulls/skeletons) section wouldn't have some good tips for you. They might know chemicals that will work, or have some kind of technique.

4. Mule deer antler is more porus than whitetail so it is going to be tough to get that out. I have had some success with zip strip that is used for removing varnish. Probably going to have to paint a base coat of white and repaint paint them.

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

X2 but I would use Krylon " almond" color instead it's pretty dang close to " light antler" and can be darkend apropriatly quite easily with washes of acrylic paint Seal with Krylon #1311

6. cabezacreek

cabezacreek New Member

Thanks for the info I will try these ideas and will let everyone know which worked the best

7. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Another good option if you want to "try" with something less permanant is Folk Art "camel" lay it down as a base color and if it covers well and you like it, seal it with the 1311 to lock it in, then you can build your darker colors on top of that.

8. trying rubbing acetone on the antlers with a little elbow grease.

9. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Laqer thinner, then airbrush with some burnt umber, tone it as you go. then seal.