1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Teak Wood

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Vince Spellane, May 10, 2010.

1. Anyone know where I can find a nice piece of teak root or something interesting for a pedestal base?
    Thanks
    Vince

2. godawgsrw

godawgsrw New Member

Call James at Peach State Lumber (770) 428-3622. If they dont have it, he can probably tell you who does.

3. Thanks for the help, I will call him tomorrow.

4. I should be more specific....I'm looking for something natural with some twists and turns and character.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Teak wood isn't what you're looking for then, I fear. Teak is imported for it's dark straight grain to be used in boat decking mostly. The character wood is cedar. If you can get Robert from Texas Driftwood you may be able to get him to hand select a suitable piece for what you're doing. Michael P has his contact. I have no idea where Phil Soucy gets his, but that's some spectacular stuff he uses as well. A few years back, Fred Vanderburgh had a beautiful cedar stump that he used for his award winning mount.

6. Thanks for the info George......I'll try and contact some of those guys. Anyone have any ideas, I'm looking for something on the darker side, and a natural looking shape.

7. copper

copper Active Member

contact sugarpine woodcarving and ask about Manzanita Root, its a beautiful, natural root, hard as hell to cut

8. Thanks copper, I was trying to think of the name of that root yesterday and knew that it started with an "M" but couldn't remember the full name. You just saved my sanity LOL!