1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trying to decide on a School

Discussion in 'Training' started by wildbill36, May 11, 2010.

1. wildbill36

wildbill36 New Member

Ohio
    I'm looking into Pennsylvania Institute of Taxidermy. Any pro's or con's would help.Thanks

2. FawnTnMtnGrl

FawnTnMtnGrl New Member

I'm looking into schools too...there are so many out there and it's kinda tough. I'm looking into Dan Rhinehardts any info on it would be appreciated also. ???

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

MTI , Missourri Taxidermy Institute ..

4. MTI

MTI Member

Kevin,
    Thanks for the plug. We appreciate it. Hope things are still going well for you.

FawnTnMthGrl, and Wildbill36, if either of you, or anyone would like information about MTI you can check out our webpage at: www.taxidermy-schools.com Or contact Carrie in the office 573-346-6871. She will be happy to answer any questions you have, and send you an information packet. I am not personally familiar with Pensylvania Institute of Taxidermy or Dan Rinehardts school. I am sure that either of these would be fine choices also. They seem to have good reputations. Good Luck.

Thanks,
    Chip Stamper
    Missouri Taxidermy Institute
    www.taxidermy-schools.com

5. Jentzhunting

Jentzhunting Member

Check out TrailsEnd school of Taxidermy in Rice, MN. Just finished the turkey class on Sunday and will be taking the summer classes starting June 21st- September 14th. Top notch instructors, very informative and willing to going above and beyond. I think there is still a spot or two available but don't really know, you would have to check out the website and contact John. The site is www.trailsendschooloftaxidermy.com, the contact info is there.

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

There are a lot of choices when it comes to schools. All have different curriculums. You should pick out three that look good to you and call each one and ask questions and get a few past students phone numbers for recommendations. Choose wisely.

7. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Now for a school owner, that has got to be one of the classiest posts i have seen on here for some time..Way to go Bill...That would be my first choice, cause he actually gives a crap what he teaches you... ;D

8. http://www.westtntaxidermy.com/

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Yes Chip things are going fine. Have all the work I can handle. Thanks to the showroom full of (quality ) mounts I left your school with. And no doubt. Your common sense. Real life method of taxidermy.
    Hope things are well with you and Carrie.
    Take care , Kevin McClure

10. wildbill36

wildbill36 New Member

Ohio
    Thanks for all the input.I will be making calls Wed. looking at all my options.

11. Check out www.AmericanTaxidermyOnline.com (American Institute of Taxidermy). These are online classes that you can take in the comfort of your own home, and learn at your own pace. They offer a huge variety of fish, mammals, birds etc. I went to the school myself, and Dennis is a wonderful teacher. You can look at my web site to see some of the work I have done after completing my classes. www.anniestaxidermy.com

12. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I dont believe that anyone selling videos as thier way of teaching can legitimately be considered a school. You might pick up some basic technique, but very little problem solving ability.

13. wildbill36

wildbill36 New Member

Ohio
    I have talked with some schools and right now I'm in the stages of looking into each school carefully.A local taxidermist is gonna let me help with some projects.To get my feet wet a little.Thanks for all the in put.

14. AIT also has a school in Boulder Junction, Wi for people who want hands on instruction. On line classes are just another option for people who cannot attend the actual school.

15. murph

murph Member

Please do yourself a big favor and give Marc Jordan a call. Western Pennsylvania School of Taxidermy. 8 solid weeks of quality training. Marc, Shawn and Jason are about the best I've seen anywhere. Very good instruction and if one is struggling a bit in certain areas Marc will work with that individual until you understand and can do the work. Very patient, relaxed atmosphere. I attended in the spring of 09 and my business has grown 3 fold since.. Not only was the training awesome, Marc's doors and phone line are always open to his students should you have questions or problems. I even took a mount to the school to have Marc and his guys give me a hand in the fitting and making sure it would go together with no issues. They didn't mount it for me... I done that once I got back home. But it sure was a comforting feeling that once school was over you weren't dropped on your face like some. Just a very good program Marc operates and is very professional.

Lance Murphy

16. P.I. T. FormerStudent

P.I. T. FormerStudent New Member

I would not recommend PIT, I have recently withdrawn for a host of reasons, I have filed complaints with the State Attorney General Office, the Federal Trade Commission, and ACCSC. It all sounds good in their publications, but the reality is quite different.

17. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Northwestern School of Taxidermy...professor J. W. Elwood will help create all your problems!

18. sid

sid New Member

secondcreation.com 913-422-3111 Kansas city Kansas

19. I here most schools are like assemblye lines with multiple students. I just attended Troy Rose's Artistic School of Taxidermy and WOW!!! this is a ONE-ON-ONE catered to your needs. He is located in Kooskia, Idaho. Do a search on Troy Rose!!

20. DDCalls

DDCalls New Member

I can second that. Troy gives you individual instruction based on what YOU want to learn. Not just the basics either. I learned more in my month there then I could have ever imagined. Habitat, open mouth, some trade "secrets" and so much more. He will make you learn things right the first time and teach you how to work through problem specimens. Give him a look.

David