1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trout, Rainbow (Steelhead).....(Oncorhynchus mykiss)

Discussion in 'Fish Reference Photos' started by AnglingArtisan, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Re: Steelhead Trout/Salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss)

Thanks for the information Gary! I've looked through my reference, and through hundreds of pictures in magazines, and on the net. I see that body positioning definetely has alot to do , or at least can, with eye positioning.

I just dislike the people that say the word "CANT" if you know what I mean! Once again, thanks for the information. You are a very knowledgeable person.

2. Re: Steelhead Trout/Salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss)

I agree body position has a lot to play, as does the fishes size. I have seen Big chunky bluegills do a down tilt on the eyes when they are vertical.
    The are looking through the small channel in the front of the face by the nares. Its very obvious what they do when you see them swimming head on in an aquarium.

Spawning salmon and trout will also do this when swimming vertical. not to this extreme but the CAN roll their eyes.

GREAT PHOTOS!!!! THANKS!!

3. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Re: Steelhead Trout/Salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss)

The koi in my aquarium at times almost blink- they roll their eyes to where the very top of the pupil is just visible. Both eyes do this simultaneously-- don't know why they do it or care but if you look long enough you will see it happen. come to think of it they yawn alot too.. I guess with rolling eyes and yawning they may be telling me something---lol.

4. Re: Steelhead Trout/Salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss)

Until you watch live fish underwater you cant appreciate how complex and beautiful they are.

5. Re: Steelhead Trout/Salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss)

Excellent ref. pictures Leslie !
    Thanks for sharing. I caught a few Steelhead this fall...this was one from Oct.