1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

South Dakota state record splake or brook trout

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mooser, May 12, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

Had this come in the shop last week. Has not been tested yet to determine wether it is a splake or brookie, but either way will be the new SD state record at 12 lbs and 29 1/2".

2. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    Ive never seen a Brookie that looked like that, thats a hawg...Brookies have worm like markings on top and white stripe on there outer edge of fins...I see the white on your fish but cant see any of the top markings???

3. The BIG brookies do have the vermiculation lines in the back, they are just not as apparent. I have done 2 other brookies just a touch smaller and 1 splake a bit smaller and by just looking at all of them you would never be able to distinguish them apart. They have to count the placika (sp?), rings on the intestines to determine the species.

4. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

thats a pig. very nice fish

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Splake. Notice the forked tail.

I just recently caught a 9lb brookie/splake, and have came to the determination from several actual great lakes biologists that it was indeed most likely a splake.

Even then, the fins arent really a clear definition. The Splake is the hardest of the hybrids to identify. there is an internal way that is the only 100% way to tell for sure. The brookie has X amount of rings on its intestine, and the Splake has XX amount. Etc.

But that is a damn nice fish for sure.

6. EA

EA Well-Known Member

What is a Splake ?? never heard of that.. Great fish regardless.

Just googled it --interesting ..Doesn't look like a brookie to me.

7. The only way to tell for sure is to count the pyloric caeca, they are the tentacle like things that come off the digestive tract. splake (65 to 85); brook trout (23 to 55); lake trout (93 or more). However, that one you can tell for sure its a splake just by looking at it, I raise brookies and splake and have seen millions, Very common looking one for a splake. Nice one though, Our record here in NY is just under 14 pounds.

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Exactly what I just said. only more detailed. :)

9. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

which was about what mooser said in his second post only more detail and spelled right...LOL

10. Jimmy Lawrence

lol. exactly ;D

11. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

That's a pig of a splake. We've got them here in WI. The L. Superior strain looks a little different yet with more worm markings along the back and a flatter looking tail w/ lite orange spots on the side. And the whole fish has more of a purple hue to it. Gorgeous fish. Too bad they can't reproduce.

12. Just heard from the guy who caught the fish and he said south dakota game fish and parks identified it a brook trout. To my knowledge it is now the largest brookie caught in the US. caught on 4 lb test as well.

13. I think they need to get another opinion......splake.....

Brian

PS: Had a fish & game officer check me several years ago in Montana for "illegally" retained bull trout (a protected species) as I had kept a rather nice sized brookXbull trout hybrid. I told him he was wrong it was not a bull trout but a fully legal to take (and please get rid of the sorry suckers) hybrid....he said "No". I said let's go to the shop and ask the biology guy....we did, and he said it was a bull trout.....I said you don't know what your talking about. SOOOOOOOO we make another 20 mile drive into regional headquarters where the bull trout "expert" resides.....he takes a quick look and says, "No question, hybrid". I just gave the f&g officer the smuggest look I could without being arrested, said nothing, took my hybrid home and ate it...yummy!!

You'd have to have someone real familiar with both to take it apart......splake......splake......splake.....I could be wrong but my wife says I'm always right...... ::) ::) ::)

14. It was not the officer that determined it. it was the fisheries biologists that determined the species. they test quite regularly.

15. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Congrats then... awesome brookie..