1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Humidity in your freezer

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kurt27, May 13, 2010.

1. Whats everyone using to keep the humidity down in their chest freezer for this summer? Ive seen the posts of people putting a small fan on a timer, but whats everyone else using?

2. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

That's all u need. Small fan on one side to. Vent on the other. On timer or continuous.

3. Jeremy James

Jeremy James New Member

Im having the opposite problem. My humidity is staying 21-25%. how can i get it to go up.

4. native

native New Member

I was told that it is best to keep the humidity down low and just keep them watered that way you cut down the chance of mites. I have been ranging from 16-22% humidity and watering with the ammonia solution and the bugs are going nuts and populating like crazy. I just learning but thought I would throw that in.

5. Jeremy James

Jeremy James New Member

Thanks native. I havent ordered any beetles yet cause i was worried about the humidity. Are you just spraying the skull?

6. native

native New Member

I have been spraying the skull since I started using the ammonia mix, like Toxic said it's like ringing the dinner bell.

7. bulldog4949

you want your humidity 40-60% with skull, and 30-50% without food in.

8. Jeremy James

Jeremy James New Member

Bulldog, what can i do to get the humidity up in my freezer? its at 21-25% with no skull and no beetles i have 2 vents in the front and i taped them up but the humidity is still the same?

9. bulldog4949

several factors could be wrong. is it outside? what kind of temp are you getting? what kind of lid do you have? etc...we have to have specifics to help you.

10. Jeremy James

Jeremy James New Member

ok its a chest freezer with original lid. i cut 2 vents in the front but i have now covered them. i have a bathroom fan to pull air out but it is not running right now cause there is nothing in there.150 watt heat emitting ceramic bullb and a reptile thermostat to regulate the heat wich is staying 79-81 degrees.the freezer is in a uninsulated shed.any suggestions would be great. thanks jeremy

11. cover the vents, the moisture will stay inside and your humidity will rise. then start playing with timers on your vent fans to get a decent humidity reading that you want

12. native

native New Member

What is the purpose for these humidity levels?

13. Helps Maintain a healthy colony. ;)

14. bulldog4949

What do you mean what's the purpose?

Your humidity has to be right for the meat/skull too not dry out before the bugs finish the job. Plus their has to be humidity in your box for the bugs themselves.

But what do I know???

15. native

native New Member

What do you mean what's the purpose? would you like me to explain? Was there never a time where you didn't have the same question or did you know it all from the start?

16. bulldog4949

No I don't need u to explain nothing. Now I know why I haven't been on here much lately. Tell u haven't done your search.

17. native

native New Member

lol OK