1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how to get more stretch out of an dry tanned ELK,???HELP

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bower0005, May 13, 2010.

1. bower0005

bower0005 Member

??? ??? ??? ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

HI EVERYONE,,,
    got my elk cape back from the tanners,
    i need to get more strech out of this one,seems i lost size,
    please advise,
    aside from shaving ,i dont have shaving equip,,
    soaking?in soap water?
    other solutions?
    thanx for all and any help,

thank you all,
    bower0005 :eek: :eek: :eek: ::) ::) ::)

2. LAM

LAM Semper Fidelis, Served with pride. USMC

you might have to re-tan call adam at Global 631-648-9470 the call is free the advise is priceless

LAM

3. BA

BA New Member

Have you rehydrated it? If not, submerge the cape in cool water with a cup of salt dissolved in it. Let it soak for an hour or two, then pull it out and drain out the excess water. Place the cape in a plastic bag and let it "sweat" overnight. The cape will then be rehydrated and ready to prep and mount.

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

You really need to know what a skin was tanned and oiled with, before attempting to re-tan a skin. Especially a cape. Over tanning a skin will sometimes do more harm than good. If you "over fill" the skin structure(voids) with tan, this will inhibit stretch even further.

Different oils are also incompatable, and can cause a real mess! In this situation, some skins can become slightly boardy, sticky,or even appear thick after rehydration.

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I have sold more than one dry tanned elk cape on this site (but not this one) and then have the buyer call me upset that its only 18" at the neck and you said it was at least 30"! I am never sure if I should laugh or cry before telling them how to soak the cape and then call me; funny I never hear back?