1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Legs

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bigbucks, May 13, 2010.

1. bigbucks

bigbucks Member

Getting ready to mount my first turkey and was wondering what way to do the legs. I got the Harry Whitehead and Tim Young videos and they both do the legs and skinning different. One runs the rod through the lower leg bone and one runs the rod behind the bone. any pros and cons of both ways and what way do you more expierienced guys suggest. I am using the preformed drumsticks.

Thank You

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I run 1/4" allthread rod through the leg bone. First, you must drill out the bone with a 1/4" drill bit (mine is 12" long). I do not use drumsticks on commercial mounts...I wrap a small amount of cotton around the femur prior to sewing. I use the leg to leg incision.

3. bigbucks

bigbucks Member

Thanks for the info joey. I appreiciate any tips I can get.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

it's tough to beat a 1/4 ''rod but knowing me I 'd run the bit through my hand I use no.9 wire all the way from bottom of foot to thigh and in body securing it with hot mely caulk then a staple or 2 of no.9 wire the [1/4 ''works fantastic on roosting mounts] a deck screw run along side of wire secures turkey to base I believe you when you say you have to drill out the bone why dont you run along leg bone opposite side of spur? just curious

5. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I'm pretty sure Joey meant that he drills into the leg bone, so the rod can go down through it, and out the bottom of the foot. At least that is the way I do the few that do. I have had the leg skin split by trying to get wire through the leg on the outside of the bone, which is why I prefer to do it the other way. I'm no really a bird guy, so maybe someone else will add something to this.

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I run a 3/16 wire down the cartlage then out the bottom of the toe. I make my first bend where the toe will be attached to the base, then thread that part. then make the other bends. has worked well for me.

7. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

Did you remove the tendons first?

8. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Carl,
    I don't remember if I did at time or not. I have removed the tendons in the past and run a wire, but I've been running the threaded rod down through the leg bone for a while now, so I just can't remember.

9. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

you will use all thread until you break it trying to pose the leg. The stuff is too brittle for my liking, especially in 1/4". I use cold rolled 3/16". I detach legs. Thread about three inches, of a 24 inch long piece, sharpen the other end. Poke the sharp end in the second pad of the big toe and run it up the leg and out the top. A pair of vice grips saves your hands and makes it a lot easier. Pull it through until the the threads are about and inch from the pad. Bend the foot to shape. I run the rod through a hole drilled in a mounting plate, makes for easy bending.

Good Luck

10. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

where do u get the 3/16 wire from.

11. I use 6 GA. wire from the toe pad used to use vise grips then I saw Danny Owens use a drill now I use the drill. awhole lot easier. As far as threading what die and socket do yall use I have been looking for one but haven"t been ableto find one.
    Keith

12. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

I got my threading die at NAPA store.