1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking to start tanning myself.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lonewolf1465, May 14, 2010.

1. Lonewolf1465

Lonewolf1465 New Member

I have been a big game guide in Yukon, BC, Sask., and now Manitoba Canada for 25+ years now and have been doing my own and some friends taxidermy on the side for approx. 15 years now. I work for myself and would like to cut down on expensive and the long waits from the commercial tanners. Does anyone have helpful advice on tanning recipes, drum designs, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It's all here. Just use the search engine here and read all the info you want.

3. murph

murph Member

Read, Read, Read..... gain all the knowledge you can.... I would even order a couple vids on this subject. Tanning is a fairly easy process once you learn the proper steps to making a good quality tan. also, use this forum and go into the archives and do searches on the subject. there are many many types and different process also. Find one you want to try out and stick with it till you can master it. if not satisfied with it, move to next type and so on. Good luck,
    Lance!

4. cedarhill

cedarhill Member

I would get ahold of Paul or Billie at pro 1 they have tumbler designs and sell all the chemicals you could need and they are awesome to deal with send me a private message and I will look up there number if interested

5. LAM

LAM Semper Fidelis, Served with pride. USMC

New home tanner,

Nothing beats a professional tannery, that said sometimes nothing beats ones own work too ….

Check out Modern Marvels a lot free shows on taxidermy and home tanning.

My bother Adam is in one on preservation and skin tanning, but you have to buy that show, the History channel put the human tanning to end the documentary and it sells, you better have a thick skin to watch that one.

Watch that you don't over build on tumblers and tanks the space that these unit take can fill a shop up fast. For the sake of space you may consider multiple use units when shopping.
    Also I have seen home shops use the plastic drum cement mixer, it's all on one stand and ready to go, as a wet drum with just a few modifications to it, it was good for a few skins at a time and it comes in an (AC power set up) for indoor use. Now they come in all sizes, check them out at the home depot.

After you decide on what type of tanning you what to do then look for the machines.

We use an Alum tan and can get you the supplies.

Good luck and enjoy

LAM
    Global Tanning, N.Y.