1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

adding sales tax

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jls, May 14, 2010.

1. jls

jls Member

How are you guys and gals handeling adding sales tax to your pricing? Do you have it included in your price or do you add it on afterwards, and how do you quote that to your customer? Do you list it as tax included or price plus tax or do you list the price and add the tax on later. Thanks for any input. Jeff

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

There is no sales tax on taxidermy in my state. If there were, it would be added to the retail price of my work. If someone called and ask for a price quote, I would say "Deer heads start at $425, plus tax".

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Same here. Taxidermy is considered a service here. and no tax on services.. But I would add it on.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I always quote "That bass would be $$$ + Tax." I always include it on the invoice from the beginning so that TAX is included in their 50% deposit.

5. Cost of mount + tax.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

x2

7. jls

jls Member

Thanks guys just trying to find the best way to add the tax. Have in the past done cost plus tax but have had more than one customer act surprised or even upset that they had to pay tax on their mount even though in wis we have to pay on everything. Thinking of maybe raising prices enough to include tax and eliminating having to remind people that they have to pay uncle sam to

8. It is odd that they seem to think they should not have pay taxes on our work but many do. I believe it comes from the fact many don't consider a taxidermy shop a "Real" business.

9. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Yeah, Are the going to the car dealer and say .. " Oh , I need to pay tax on that ? "

10. jls

jls Member

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm getting at when I go to purchase somethig I know that Tax will be added on, no other business posts their price on the shelf with a plus tax reminder behind it we just know that. Sometimes I think these people are just playing dumb hoping I'll say Oh forget it I'll pay that for you

11. jbnf

jbnf New Member

I have it included with my price. I tell them $125 tax included.

12. customerfirst

customerfirst New Member

No sales tax in Alabama, but I think that is about to change. Taxidermy is a service just like any other business that would be a service. Now those services are being forced to charge sales tax because the gov't is broke. Tanning Salons are now having to collect sales tax, etc., etc. There is no catagory for Taxidermy in the State of Alabama, the auditors will just say that they DETERMINED that you have to start collecting it. And so it goes.

13. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Cost of the mount + tax here in Georgia.

14. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

i dont know why you would do that Josh. i mean i know we all have our own system as to what works for us, but do you all not have to pay taxes to the state on your sales? seams like you would be making alot of extra work having to go back and calculate what percentage was sales tax and what was the actual price. like i said though i guess we all have a system that works for us. i just dont understand that one.

i use taxishop. it does all the calulations for me and then i type in a few dates and it tells me that i owe the state "XXX" dollars for the quarter based off the sales.

15. jbnf

jbnf New Member

Its really not that difficult. At the end of the quarter I add up my sales then multiply it by .075 and pay that amount.

16. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Get your self a Sales/contract printed in Triplicate with price then tax showing total owed, Wisconsin DNR now allow us to give the customer one copy and keep the other two for our records. Have all the info you need Name,Address,Phone, mount instructions.

Have it printed like this Mount Price $_________________
    Sales Tax $_________________
    Total $_________________
    Deposit - $_________________
    Balance Due $_________________

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I have mine figured in and that's stated on anything that my prices are on. I then back it out to show it on the invoice. It's easier for me to just tell the customer a nice round number (I tell them it's xx after tax) then I also don't have to mess with a bunch of change.