1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

put in mckenzie order on 5/9 got hacked on 5/10

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by trapper9952, May 15, 2010.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I had contacted Mk on this same issue and they tried to assure me that as far as they new their system had not been hacked. Yet they told me they didn't have access to VD's system, so they couldn't tell me about that. I thought maybe I was alone in this battle but I guess not. Fortunately I did not have any overdrafts because of this happening. My bank is investigating this. The bank has replaced the money with provisional deposits, but that means that I have to leave that amount in the account until they figure this out and that could take months.

2. Rattrapper

Rattrapper Member

I was hacked a couple years back, and it was a real pain trying to get that money back. Nowdays I only call orders in, Or if I HAVE TO I'll go down to Wallgreens, or Wal-Mart and buy a pre-paid debit card for as close to the actual price of whatever it is that I'm gonna order. that way IF your hacked the card has NOTHING left on it, your out nothing, and the hacker just wasted their time.

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

now here is something i am thinking of trying, every time i call in an order they ask is this going to be credit card or check by phone. since mine is a debit card and it comes out of my checking acct, if someone was to use the check by phone option, wouldnt this alleviate the issue of the card being used somewhere else?

just asking, cause if thats the case, there is your answer if your using a debit card or visa check card.

4. eagleone

eagleone New Member

I got hit too

5. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Good idea Russ, But if they can still get your acct # and your routing #,,,,They could probably still do damage?? I dont really know. Just a thought..

6. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

thats why i thru it out there scott, i have never done the check by phone option, but i dont know if they get teh routing number or not, just an idea that may or may not work.

7. I got hacked about three weeks ago off an order I placed with McKenzie. I called Bank of America as soon as I got the text notification that a transaction has been made. It was an order for wholesale jewelry from china. I lost 76.00 off that pop and a 45.00 overdraft charge :'( :'(

They ensured me that they will get back to me in 30 days and hopefully refund me my money.

8. My number got stolen about a month or two ago after ordering from Van Dyke and I'm glad I'm not the only one. The hacker was trying to buy something for $1,000 in PA. :mad: I'm very happy with my bank calling the house and telling me for it went threw. I got lucky that time.

I really like using Van Dyke and is planning to buy more stuff from there soon, but I'm going to place my order in threw a phone call. Would I have to worry about my number being stolen again even through a phone call order? I also plan to bring up the the problem on their website to them as well when I do call my stuff in.

Rattrapper, I might do this to be even safer, what are the names of these pre-paid debit cards? Because I know we sell cards at my job, but I'm not sure if they are the right ones for purchases.

9. Man you guys are freaking out what about us, If a Company as Good as McKenzie can get hacked then that has me on the edge, How will our website hold up if they cant hold theirs?

-Rudy

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

How many of you use a cell phone to call in the orders? Could be that, also could not be them at all, I'm sure they use a cc processing company and they have inside jobs going on all the time. I used to take orders and do customer service for IPASS those of you in northern IL know what I'm talking about. I processed cc payments all the time, some times our system would sloww way down and we often would take notes down on paper and catch up with the updates to the system after the call. But we weren't allowed to do that if they were updating a c/c if you so much as wrote down a cc # on paper, you were fired on the spot, the police picked you up and you were taken downtown for questioning. But, someone that didn't value their job and felt the rewards outweighed the risks could easily jot down a number and the 3 dig code when the floor supervisor wasn't looking.

I'm liking the whole pre-payed debit card idea a whole lot better with just enough to make that purchase.

11. I agree, I think I'm going to look into a pre-paid debit card for my next purchase just to be on the safe side. Like Rattrapper said, if they do get that number, they wasted their time because it will barely have anything left on it. I just need to figure out if my job sells them in the first place. I really don't want to deal with another problem like this again and have to wait about 2 weeks for a new card either.

12. Welp, last week I CALLED IN my order, on a land-line, not a cell phone, with my NEW card that I had never used before. I just got this card to replace my stolen account card. My bank called last night and said it was hacked again, and listed off about $300 worth of crazy weird charges.

My husband called mkz to complain. The girl on the phone said Van Dykes website was messed with a couple weeks ago, not hacked but they were switching it over from Cabellas to mkz, but they have since sorted it out. Said they would talk to their IT guy about it. Like I said I called in my order this time. It was the only time I ever used that card.

13. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

That is weird Codi...Almost like they have someone there stealing information maybe..

14. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I would hate to point fingers at a company I really like, but it sounds like and "inside job!" LOL
    it's just really strange that just Mckenzie and Van Dykes are having this problem?
    Although if you think of it, they probably get the bulk of the business, so why fish in a tiny pond if you can fish in the Great Lakes?
    Have any of the other companies been affected too?
    There has to be some security hole that the info is being accessed through.
    Maybe it's a Microsoft product? heheheehe
    Maybe if we are lucky, they'll decide the new website isn't very secure and they will go back to the old one we had before!!! ;D
    OK...I can always dream.

15. MKZ just called and are trying to find the root of the problem, a common factor among all that have been hacked recently. So if you have been, maybe give them a call to help them gather some info, so they can sort this out.

Bobbi, those are some big dreams you have there!

16. Bobbi Meyer

I might as well dream...I'm at work and bored out of my mind...looking at a ULINE catalog...some neat stuff...may have to order some goodies! LOL

17. Best to call in the orders that way you and the operator on the phone are both looking at the catalogs and seeing the same items...ensures no mistakes

18. Bobbi Meyer

Codi DID call in her order..........

19. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

He never reads that is why he thinks you salt KT hides LOL

20. How the hell...if you call in the order they just it it over phone...shouldn't be a problem unless they do an online transaction with their bank...that must be where the problem is...someone has latched into the transfer between the supply company and the supply company bank...

Maybe warn the supply company that there have been alot of others who have had fraudulent charges through orders...that will put a sever dent in their business til they can get the problem fixed