1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

yellow perch- finished

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by BVanKirk, May 16, 2010.

1. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

taking a break from this current piece, stepping back or photoing sometimes helps me see differently as a piece progresses. also experimenting with neo meglip for the first time, its weird and satiny and also slows drying time but its way fun. also playing with a different yellow and purple (aureolin cobalt yellow) and manganese violet, so not to get bored with my palette

okay enough procrastinating, back to painting scales... blah :p
    [​IMG]

and the finished thing.... 'finished' as in its 1am and ill probably tweak tomorrow
    [​IMG]

2. Re: yellow perch- WIP

damn girl yer good. they look like ones I pull from the freezer with the sunken eyes, belllies and all.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Re: yellow perch- WIP

Baily, you know I'm one of your biggest fans and couldn't appreciate your talent more. HOWEVER, the second fish is in an anatomically impossible position. The caudal or tail fin never gets limp (it has boney rays to keep it rigid) and the joint of the spine connecting it would allow it to flop down like that unless it were broken.

And the ONLY reason I'm saying that is because I know that your ability to make critical observations on these critters is unmatched. I'm assuming you took artistic license on that one as the third one is perfect. I love the "dead" appearance you gave them as well.

4. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

thanks for pointing that out george, i havent really touched that part of the middle fish and im having issues with the whole tail area

5. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Looks Great!

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

looks real good. you should paint something alive once though. haha

7. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Bailey you are an amazing artist!

8. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

meh, too damn hard to get them to sit still lol

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Bailey if you want I can send you some rompum (animal tranquilizer) that way you can practice paint and release! or pose and release! lol

10. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

lol i dont know about on animals but that sounds like a great way to get some portraiture done

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bailey, I'd LOVE to see you at work on one of these masterpieces. Why don't you film a segment and put it on Youtube so we can look. I find it amazing the realizm you get with a brush and I doubt I"m alone. Why don't you ask that short bus rider who wears the weird shorts and goofy sneakers if he doesn't know someone to help you out. LMAO.

12. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I would love to see Bailey at work painting. I would love to see her do a repo fish and even finish work on a whitetail! Bailey I can even get you a dart gun just in case your subject decides to run.lol

13. WNWA

WNWA New Member

bailey, thats a great piece of work, hanks for aking the ime to share,
    the would be great idea of utube waching a amazing artist at work

14. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

haha that probably wouldnt be all that entertaining. ih hs and art school when i had an open studio space people would come in all the time and watch me work, its weird having someone look over your shoulder, especially when the marks i make are tiny and calculated and it takes a long time to really add up to anything, that would be a lot of footage to fast forward through ;)

15. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio

I only dabble in fine art and my favorite subject is of course, wildlife, and the MOST difficult thing to accurately portray on a fish is the caudal fin IMO...glad to see that it gives the pros problems too ;D

16. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Very nice.

17. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

finally done, excuse the horrible photos

18. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Very very nice. I like it alot.

Is it for a customer?/

19. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

It's great Bailey. I really like the "shine" on the fish on the right.

20. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

nope