1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

And THIS is why Chris Barnhardt is "Chris Barnhardt"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Lisa M, May 16, 2010.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Surry Community College May 2010 Competition & Seminars...Chris wanted to learn how to do tarantulas. Tom Voyer was the teacher. Five animals were mounted that day. 3 spiders & 2 scorpions.

Chris mounted his tarantula following Tom's instructions and demonstrations. While Tom and another student went on to mount the scorpions, Chris tended to his spider. For an hour. He got a very fine brush...almost like a pipe cleaner...and he groomed each & every one of the spiders legs. There was a live specimen there for reference...(her name is Rosa)...now Chris is not a fan of live spiders. That's an under-statement. Chris <b><u>REALLY doesn't like the dang things</u></b>...but he knows that the best way to make something look alive, is to have something that is alive there to look at...or at least pictures of a live version of what you're mounting. So despite the fact that (I'm pretty sure) his heart was beating faster, he tolerated having Rosa within inches of his hands & face. He even got his flashlight out to look at her eyes. When he compared the eyes on his mount, to the eyes of the live tarantula, he commented "Hers are brighter than mine." Oh my good gravy boats on Sunday morning...the eyes are smaller than the . at the end of a sentence and he wants his to be brighter!

I'd never met Chris before. I'd heard of him but hadn't really taken the time to understand what he's about. I feel fortunate to have seen him in action and to have gotten to know him a little. Very cool guy. ;) Seriously though...he groomed it <u>for an hour.</u> It was amazing. I can't imagine the time he spends on deer hair patterns. :) ;)

Here's the pics...;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Changed the title of the thread to include the D in his name. ;)

2. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Re: And THIS is why Chris Barnhart is "Chris Barnhart"

i have met him a few times Lisa, and i will say that anyone who has a chance to be around chris barnhart on a daily or even weekly basis is going to be a better taxidermist and person because of it. he is one of the coolest, calmest easy to get along with guys you will ever meet. couple that with the talent, and his "normal guy" attitude, and you have the makings for a person who is very cool to be around and a great teacher and talent for us all to learn from.

3. Re: And THIS is why Chris Barnhart is "Chris Barnhart"

Chris is one of the most humble men I have ever met in my life and I count him as a great mentor and friend. You can't ask for a better person to have as a friend.

4. godawgsrw

godawgsrw New Member

David, humble is just the exact word that I used to describe Chris after I met him last week. He conducts his seminars with the heart of a teacher. He does not slam others methods and just simply says he's found that some certain ways do not work for him. If you ask him what he gets to mount certain critters, he will certainly inspire you to get your prices up.

5. Re: And THIS is why Chris Barnhart is "Chris Barnhart"

Chris is a true asset to the taxidermy industry. A humble, caring person who is always willing to share any information with you. A hundred years from now, when we are all gone to the Taxidermy studio in the sky, the taxidermy historians here on this planet will be discussing several of the worlds best taxidermist. And I will quarantee you that Chris's name will be at the top of the list for his willingness to share so much with so many. Thats what seperates Chris form so many. His work is untouchable. But his attitude to this industies future "quality" taxidermist is exceptional!

Teddy

6. Lisa M

Does anyone know Chris' taxi.net name? I promised him I'd send him pictures of him in that class through taxinet but I don't know his name here right off hand. :( Thank y'all kindly. ;)

7. Re: And THIS is why Chris Barnhart is "Chris Barnhart"

I believe it's cbarnhart, Lisa.

8. Lisa M

Thank you Ross. ;) I don't think that's it though. I did a search for the letter "a" said by cbarnhart in the last 10,000 days and got no results. Dang it. Let me do a search for his name said by someone else & hopefully he'll have commented somewhere & his name'll jump out at me. ;) Thanks for trying sunshine.

Hey...ding ding ding...here's a thought...how about I call the man?!? And what do you know...he answered! :) YAY! His last name has a D in it...cool...that helps with the searching doesn't it?!? ;) Sometimes I'm blonder than blonde. :p

9. Oh my good gravy boats on a Sunday morning....??????????? LOL Lisa I think I may love you LOL Thats hilarious....I often say things like "Hotter than bugs in a skillet"

10. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

Ya'll are all nuts! That's why I love you!