1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boxing deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wayne R, May 17, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

A friend of mine was in the Keys last week, and was entertained by these deer while he was grabbing his morning coffee.

[​IMG]

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've seen does do that on numerous occasions, but I did notice something in your picture that I've wondered about. I would guess they are both bucks and the one is in velvet. I've YET to ever see a buck in velvet duck his head to engage another deer. The seem to ALWAYS stand up and box, but just as soon as he gets hard horned, he's ready to rumble.

3. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

come to think of it George i haven't see velvet bucks engage in head battle either. good preception there.

4. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

That was something I had noticed myself. Thought I read somewhere, that while the velvet is growing that they are sensitive. The folks that think deer are such gentle creatures, need to see footage of them trying to tear each other apart with their hooves or antlers.

5. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Fun also to watch an ol' momma doe stomp a dog.

6. bw

bw New Member

Charlie Alshiemer had a series of photos in Deer and Deer Hunting a few years ago that depicted to big velvet bucks going head to head. By the hair length I assumed they were nearing the shedding point. But the blood and velvet was flying.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

May as well relate a story along this line I witnessed in Saskatchewan. Now I can only ASSUME that the doe who came into the bait site 100 yards away was accompanied by her button-buck fawn. He ate contentedly while he was a bit more wary. He nibbled a bit and then walked around behind the doe and sniffed her tail. She whirled around, stood on her back feet and came down on his head with a front hoof that echoed through the woods. The little buck went down on both front knees and took a few seconds to gain his senses. He stood back up and wobbled a bit to walk around in front of the doe and begin feeding. It was hard not to laugh.