1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

major cowlicks

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Manderscheidt, May 18, 2010.

1. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

I thawed out a deer to mount today, and when I unrolled the cape I found the hair is full of cowlicks. The shoulders, neck, nearly everywhere. It didn't have any before I sent it to the tannery, but now it looks horrible. I only mount 5-10 deer a year, so I don't run into this sort of thing very often, and I don't know what to do. They certainly don't comb out, I can promise you that. I have read on here about using hair gel, but I don't have any on hand. I can go get some, but it there anything else I can do to save this cape? It is going on a "buck of many lifetimes" and it has to look right.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Just go with it ; that`s what the deer had.deer in the wild don`t use hair gel.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

are you sure you got the right cape back? There is a few methods you can use to try to control them, Hair gel, carding, and sometimes if it is bad I rub very wet potters clay into the hair card with mesh and when completly dry brush it out.

4. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

Thanks guys, I just got back from Pamida with some hair gel. I will try that and card it, then hope for the best. This is the same cape I sent in, and had perfect hair when I sent it out salted/dryed. You will have to take my word for it, there is nothing natural about the way this looks! :'(

5. Pic's? Have you tried a good washing or brine soak?

6. zubba

zubba New Member

I agree, cowlicks often add character. Look closely at the way the hair patterns run in the cowlick and groom accordingly. Each deer is different, but a properly groomed cowlick often looks pretty neat....IMO. Of course there are just plain ugly deer too.

7. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

Hi - I too only mount 5-10 deer a year and every year I am amazed at the difference that can occur in the hair patterns between individual deer. I tan my own deer and use the SAME methods on every deer. Most are pretty straight haired but some have that curly / whirly hair . Just like people - I guess they are all different in some way.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If the cowlicks were not there before the tanner,, then the cowlicks are the sign of the early stages of slip, the tanner may have saved it just before it fell apart.

9. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

That sure could be. I got the cape from a friend who had taken the deer to the locker, and it was two weeks before he picked it up and brought it to me. The hair seems well set, no problems mounting it today.

I ended up gelling and meshing the heck out of it and for now it looks good. I hope it holds!

dsbragg, I don't mean to show my ignorance, but what the heck. What does a brine soak do for it? I don't do any of my own tanning, I just salt them and send them out to be wet tanned. When they come back I just thaw them out and mount them.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.