1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm out of ideas. I need help..

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by George, May 18, 2010.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Actually I would try a quick re-make - but only after explaining to the owner that there is a likelihood it may be destroyed. I would use a moist box for a week or so and inject water under key areas to soften up the bird. Likely with such a poor mount that "taxidermist" (and I use that term loosely) probably didn't wrap a tight excelsior body and you could man-handle the existing body to fit the approximate correct one and adjust posture. Removing the whole body would double the time involved.

Actually you could wait a year or so and perhaps get a new eagle from the BP spill. I have a copy of the old US Dept of Interior Memo in Anchorage of the carcasses available from the Exxon Valdez Oil spill that one could order whatever number of specimens you wished to have before they were incinerated in Sept 1992 - the memo dated August 07 1992. The spill was in 1989. Thus the BP birds should be available about 2012-2013.

Oil spill birds aren't always in that bad of shape - I have handled many over the years. Sometimes they simply ingest the wrong food and they die from starvation. Plumage is not always ruined..

The total number of Bald Eagles available from Exxon Valdez was 125. The whole list is amazing, but I image LSU will claim most birds in the current spill - if many birds end up kicking the bucket.

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I think George and Nancy should pair up and restructure the bird together :)

3. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

they are fun to re mount those old birds ::) ;D try to injek some soap water into his breast and after a houer or 2 see if you can move the skin. if you can move it so is it re mountable and just put it in soap water for some houer and then frezze it down for some days and then take it up and melt it in soap water and skin it out and mount it. mabe use some peroxcide on the white feders after a good wash and before the rinse. if the skin is not move able after injekted soap water. so just do that she liked you to do and get it out of your house so fast you can ;D

where is your good tips here francois!!!! :)

4. Let's be honest some projects are not worth the time or effort. Re guardless of anyones abilities this bird will still not be correct and the beauty of the bald eagle is a symbol of natures perfection. No one is going to win in this situation not you or the client. Simply explain that it is not worth salvaging and offer a recreation that will represent what she truly desires. It would show her that you not only care about the taxidermy representation, but about what the bald eagle symbolises.

5. duckstuffer_99

duckstuffer_99 Member

Make another one, Gas and match, decent burial........all GREAT ideas!!!! Sorry, this one is waaaaaaay beyond my knowledge!!!

6. Lance

Lance New Member

no...no no. No Gas no matches no burning..... I actually would like to see George try and fix it. Walk away from it for a bit and then come back to it George. Do something else and allow the brain fart to pass.

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

If I had more spare time and lived on the other edge of the continent I would love to get my hands on it, just for the challenge, but there are some serious limits on my spare time nowadays ...
    With enough work, I think it could be fully redone and made into a decent mount, that is, providing that the feathers are still intact.
    If they aren't, then nothing is going to be able to help it very much.

8. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

:eek: That eagle has certainly seen better days. I'd say salvage what you can, and make an educational display case out of the parts worth showing.

She could show people the talons and skull and feathers to explain how these birds survive and hunt in the wilderness. But that looks like it'd be hell to fix!

Looking forward to seeing before and after pics. ;)

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Nancy, actually that's my biggest hangup on remounting the bird or even trying. The feathers on the neck look as if the barbules are broken off. There's still years of dirt trapped inside them and I'm going to wash it ON MORE TIME to see for sure. If they are, I'm going to have to call them and tell them its trashed.

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Ya know ... hmmmm ... those whitish head and neck feathers are the easiest ones on the entire bird to replace. They are so close to those of a white chicken (must be a hen) that it's very hard to tell them apart. It's those pale-edged body feathers that are so specific to eagles and hard to match.

11. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

oh deer god put it out of its misery

12. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

George, you know Im laughing my a$$ off. You would give anyone a big pile for taking this in... Ha Ha Ha.............................Youve told me. "Its just a Dang bird" so just tell them to come get it and forget it. YOU CANT FIX IT. Here's another way to put it. YOU CANT WIN WITH A LOOSING HAND! There you go, good luck.

13. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

GEORGE

[​IMG]

14. daniel

daniel New Member

what a challenge id like to see nancy spend a bit of her time on that im sure it would look a lot different and take a lot of time i have a lot of faith in what nancy say,s and doe,s i think she know,s her chit ;) ;) ;) all joking aside and throwing bad comments at george we are all entitled to our own opinions if george thinks what he is doing is right then thats ok with me im just glad the lord didnt make us all the same what a boring place this would be george i wish you the best daniel ICELAND ;) ;)

15. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

George if you decide it is junk, you can send it to me and I will recreate it with other birds and give it back to whomever it belongs too. and no cost.

16. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

George

Some people here think that it is salvagable. I think they are right. Shame it cannot be sent to some-one with the confidence to get stuck in. I take it that you can only possess it with the appropriate permits. Whereas in the rest of the world it is just a CHICKHEN. Certainly in Europe anyway.

Good luck and please post up what you finally did with it. Have a nice weekend

17. George, whatever you do with the eagle charge a high enough price that it is well worth your time. I can honestly say you are a better man than I, because I would have turned down that project immediately. I guess crack-cocane eagles that were killed in an oil slick 30 years ago just aren't my specialty! You asked for help from the experts to be honest I think Ray Charles could have told you what to do with this one. If in some way it could be salvaged I wish you the best of luck, let us all know what you do with it, I think we are all intrigued.

18. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Maybe a few strategic whacks with a tennis racket might work George. Not only would it "fluff" the bird, if done just right, it would also knock most of the dust off of it too. Good Luck and please post pics. when done. ;D ;)

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

George...divide and conquer...did an owl that was in that bad of shape and it turned out good.....separate wings,tail body and skin and re-wash each separatelly and re-assemble on new foam body

20. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Don't "curdle" your caulk. ::) :D