1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by DustinL24, May 19, 2010.

1. DustinL24

DustinL24 New Member

I dont normally deal with reptiles but i have a client that i do mammals and birds for who has a 14 foot crocodile already mounted. He wants me to remove it from the pedistal base it is on so that it can be hung on a wall. My question is How i should go about making a anchor point in the croc to allow it to be hung on the wall. I am guessing that the form is all foam. I had the idea of cutting a square out of the belly of the mount and insert a 4x4 with bondo or something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1st thing is that cutting into it will not be easy to begin with. 2nd of all you may end up with a surprise when you do cut into him. Make sure that if you are cutting into him that you do it in the most discrete way possible. Dan

3. Why not just drill anchor points or holes into the underside and mount on a screwbolt system to the wall? or put u shaped anchors around the bottom of the legs into the wall?

i guess it depends on how heavy this thing is...

4. Im figuring depending on the way it was mounted, it probably weighs close to 100 pounds. Since it is to be a wall mount, it all depends on wether the belly is gonna be against the wall, or the back side. If it is the back side, you would have to install a 6-10 inch piece of square metal stock with matching diameter insert. Install the female accepting end into the croc and bondo and foam in. The male end, can be secured to the weall in sort of a plaque displat so the croc can be slid on and off. there will be some cutting and repairing to do, so plan it out carefully

5. DustinL24

DustinL24 New Member

thanks guys. I really apreciate the info. I like the idea of the stock metal and will probably use this system. The belly of the croc will be against the wall. The mount is right around 100 pounds and luckly my clients trophy room was desighned with 3/4 inch plywood behind the drywall so i can attach just about any kind of achor system to it. The mount was prevously on a pedistal and stood straight up as if it was tail walking but when it is layed down it looks as if its crawling so the lowest point would be about 1/4 of the way down from the head on the belly. If this info helps in coming up with an evan better idea i would greatly appreciate it. The only thing i would be worried about is how well of adhesion i will get with the metal inside the croc. Will the bondo and foam hold well enouph or should i cross drill holes into the metal that will be inside to allow for a better grip.

6. If you weld some cross members onto the inside stocj sot of like looking like a telephone pole at the top, it will stop it from twisting. You can always put the cut out beely plate back over the armature