1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another no picture snake ID

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by RTPBearcat, May 19, 2010.

1. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

I have a friend that asked me to ID a snake. I guess I'm the best they got aroound here. Stinks to be them.

Their description is a very dark black snake - "so dark it looked like velvet", with a sky blue (dark sky blue) belly. I really came up with nothing. All I could thing was an indigo snake, and perhaps the light made the belly appear to be a solid light blue color, but it didn't fit the description. Internet search only came up with a very venomous snake found around Queensland.

I'm in SW Florida, Ft. Myers.

Any ideas appreciated.

2. Florida Indigo snake or possibly a black swampsnake...black racer...although black racers tend to have somewhat white underbellies on some snakes

3. I would venture a guess as it being an indigo, but how big was it, did it have a strong musky smell to it?

4. bubba z

bubba z New Member

I would guess indigo too was it real black and shiny. Haven't seen one in years but I remember how black and shiny they are. I'm pretty sure they are protected in Florida

5. snakeface

snakeface New Member

black racers have a sorta blue colored belly

6. bubba z

bubba z New Member

It could be a racer that's why I wondered if it was real shiny like an indigo and how big was it? If it was long and fat most likely it wasn't a black racer but if was skinny and not oily shiny it probably was